From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS232-to-USB converter

I have an electronic which is connected to either RS-232 serial or USB. Since the electronic cable has a RS-232 adapter, I have to use RS232-to-USB converter to make it compatible with USB port. My LabView application runs well with RS-232 port but doesn't work with USB port. The problem is that, if I use my own laptop which has LabView 7.1 installed, the problem disappears. The electronic works well with both rs-232 and USB. However, the problem appears again in other computers regardless of its version (I tried XP and 2000). I installed NI-VISA and NI-Serial. I surely checked serial port & I/O support when making an installation file. None of the methods has solved my problem yet. Any suggestions? Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,382 Views)
kpak,

first- check if your USB-RS232 driver is correctly installed: use 'VISA find', your system properties or look with hyperterminal if your system has an extra COM device (mostly COM3 or higher).
Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,361 Views)
Hello,

I have a few questions, the answers to which may help you and clarify the problem:

1. Can you connect directly to your computer via rs-232... do you need to use the USB port?

2. When you say, "My LabView application runs well with RS-232 port but doesn't work with USB port." what specifically do you mean? Do you get an error? If so, what error? Can you attach a screenshot of the behavior?

3. When you plug the USB-RS-232 converter into your PC, do you have access to the RS-232 resource at all? For example, if you select, Start -> Programs -> National Instruments -> VISA -> VISA Interactive Control do you see the RS-232 resource there? Can you perform a loopback test (to do this wire pins 2 and 3, and simply write and read to that serial port)?

4. Do you have any NI Serial HW products? You won't need NI-Serial installed simply to communicate with built in serial ports (or in your case a USB-RS-232 device, which should show up as an RS-232 serial port); NI-VISA will be sufficient.

Thanks and I look forward to your repost!

Best Regards,

JLS
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,346 Views)