Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS232 Read Problems

Hello,
I am currently writing a VI using LabVIEW 6.0 to obtain data from a RS 232 serial device (The Orion SA 720 pH/Thermometer). I only need to read from the device and have run into some problems:

1) The VI will SOMETIMES time out when I run it. I don't know why it times out only sometimes but if it does and I restart the computer it doesn't time out after that.

2) The VI is not picking up any data when trying to read (0 Bytes At Port). I've used hyperterminal and am able to establish both read and write communication with the device.

The device manual gives me the following commands to control the device:

Hex Function
^A 01 Changes Mode
^B 02 Changes Function
#X CR 23OD Enters numeric value into meter memory
*where X is some number
*CR - performs auto zero and print result

Example: ^A2 CR - Select and print temp

^A Modes: relative mV, temperature, pH, and ionic concentration.
^B Funct: sample, calibrate, iso, and slope.

Attached is a copy of my VI any input appreciated. Im new at this.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,288 Views)

@v_pat wrote:
Hello,
I am currently writing a VI using LabVIEW 6.0 to obtain data from a RS 232 serial device (The Orion SA 720 pH/Thermometer). I only need to read from the device and have run into some problems:

1) The VI will SOMETIMES time out when I run it. I don't know why it times out only sometimes but if it does and I restart the computer it doesn't time out after that.

2) The VI is not picking up any data when trying to read (0 Bytes At Port). I've used hyperterminal and am able to establish both read and write communication with the device.

The device manual gives me the following commands to control the device:

Hex Function
^A 01 Changes Mode
^B 02 Changes Function
#X CR 23OD Enters numeric value into meter memory
*where X is some number
*CR - performs auto zero and print result

Example: ^A2 CR - Select and print temp

^A Modes: relative mV, temperature, pH, and ionic concentration.
^B Funct: sample, calibrate, iso, and slope.

Attached is a copy of my VI any input appreciated. Im new at this.
Thanks!

Does this VI help?

- Paul
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,277 Views)
Sorry, have LabVIEW 6.0 cant open the file.. Maybe if you could take a screen shot or something?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,270 Views)
I tried to save the file as a labview 6 file, but labview encountered some errors. Here are some screenshots.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,259 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,257 Views)
Thanks for the help..though I didn't fix the problem through the new VI it gave me a few ideas and I was able to get my program up and running.

Thanks again
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,219 Views)