Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS232 Communication problem with VISA

I have no experience about the speed of the communication, especially it is not important for this application. I allow some time (less than 100ms) to read the response after write, which is adequate to read all messages without losing data. I thougth this time lag is required whether due to speed of communication or execution speed of the controller (or both).

As a walkthrough I would convert the ExpressVI to subVI then use in the block diagram of the main VI. Thanks for your help and efforts for getting a solution to this problem.

--
bencizdim
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 27
(2,638 Views)

I would allow more time like 300ms especially if speed is not important

Ryan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 27
(2,620 Views)

What temperature chamber you use?

Now, i am working with a similar problem. i use a temperature chamber Cincinnati Sub zero, but i cant read and write data. 

this brand had a Vis, that you could use for serial comunication. But the problem is that the communication doesnt work.

and i would like to connect with Ethernet and change de communication serial to ethernet. Whit this Vis i can establish a correct communication.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 27
(2,594 Views)

Can you see your instrument show up in device manager in windows and NI MAX?

Ryan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 27
(2,574 Views)

Ok. When I conected the Termic Chamber (Instrument) to Ethernet port on the computer,  the Led COM Flashing in the Chambe's Panel. And after I do a ping on the computer for I see the correct conection, this not show mistakes. 

The MAX not detected the conection how show the attached document. 

On the window "Enter the LAN resource details" show a mistake:

Could noy open a VISA session to TCPIP0::169.254.185.32::INSTR

Visa error code 0xBFFF0011

Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

when I treat to use "Manual entry a RAW SCKET " show a mistake:

Could noy open a VISA session to

TCPIP0::169.254.185.32::5900::SOCKET

Visa error code 0xBFFF0011

Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

This type of chamber had a libraries of VIs for connect the Chamber (Cincinnati Sub Zero) with VISA serial, but the problem is that the serial port doesn't work and the project is use the Ethernet for Control and Monitoring this instrument.

This VIs I do a little change in the Visa Open, change the dierction for:

TCPIP::169.254.185.32::5900

In all VIs that contain the Visa Port 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 27
(2,559 Views)

I attach the Original Vis and the modified Vis. 

when i run the Vis the principal mistakes that show are the next:

ERR(-1074001422) and ERR(-1073807331)

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 27
(2,557 Views)

I apologize sincerely for the interruption, but I am trying desperately to get a USB-RS232 adapter, CommFront USB-RS232-1 to be recognized by VISA, MAX, Labview, any NI resource.  It is recognized in Device Manager as "USB< >Serial." Bencizdim, how did you get the alien USB-RS232 to be recognized as a VISA resource?

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 27
(2,542 Views)

If you're sure that the device is showing up in device manager, try going to tools<<reset configuration data. If this doesn't work then try and update MAX from our website by downloading and installing this update. 

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/3667/lang/en

Ryan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 27
(2,524 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 27
(2,508 Views)

Sorry, Ryan, I did not read far enough.  I was eventually able to solve the problem last Friday, but as you suggested.  I reconfigured the USB hub in Device Manager, and all was well,  Thanks again for considering my quesion.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 27
(2,506 Views)