Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS232 Communication problem with VISA

@Reserved wrote:

I apologize sincerely for the interruption, but I am trying desperately to get a USB-RS232 adapter, CommFront USB-RS232-1 to be recognized by VISA, MAX, Labview, any NI resource.  It is recognized in Device Manager as "USB< >Serial." Bencizdim, how did you get the alien USB-RS232 to be recognized as a VISA resource?

I did not do any special thing, just installed the driver of the device supplied in the package, then the device is recognized by the computer as serial port. When there is a serial port in the computer, VISA sees it as an instrument.

Have you checked that you can see anything like "your USB device(COM7)" in Device Manager>Connections(COM&LPT)?

--
bencizdim
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 27
(2,330 Views)

@jhon90 wrote:

What temperature chamber you use?

Now, i am working with a similar problem. i use a temperature chamber Cincinnati Sub zero, but i cant read and write data. 

this brand had a Vis, that you could use for serial comunication. But the problem is that the communication doesnt work.

and i would like to connect with Ethernet and change de communication serial to ethernet. Whit this Vis i can establish a correct communication.

I am using ESPEC SU-261, which has standard controller with RS232 option. ESPEC provides LabVIEW drivers for GPIB connections, but not for RS232. I need to use my own VI's to establish a connection.

--
bencizdim
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 27
(2,328 Views)

Ok. I am working with Cincinati sub zero EZT560. But in the Laboratory we have Espec chambers. Is similar the conexion with LabVIEW is about GPIB. But We have only conections with por Ethernet. And for the control i use the web page of control. 

or exist a program ERC-100SII you can  Download such files as ERC-100SII Disk1, Disk2 and Disk3 to your PC from our Home

Page, “http://www.espec.com”.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 27
(2,319 Views)

Hi jhon90,

It is possible that you may have a firewall that is blocking MAX from establishing connection. Try removing your firewall temporarily.

Ryan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 27
(2,296 Views)

Thanks to you all.  I was able to resolve the problem by renaming the ports in Device Manager.  And, Ryan, I had to tell the firewall to allow the communication.  Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 27
(2,277 Views)

I am facing similar problem. No detection of com Port in Visa resource. I am using prolific USB-RS 232 connecting cable. Under device manager I have renamed the com port to COM2. With the help of Hyperterminal I could communicate via COM2 with my sensor. But I dont know the reason why i could nt find this COM port in VISA resource name. 

Following things I have tried:

-'' VISA find ''  to locate the resource name

- ''Visa Resource name'' which does nt show my com port even after refresh

Errors:

''A code library req by VISA could nt be located or loaded. This is usually due to a required driver not being installed on the system''

I will be glad if some one finds solution.

Regards 

Murali

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 27
(2,094 Views)
The error indicates that you don't have NI-VISA itself installed. It should be listed in the software section of MAX. The port itself must also be listed there never you start messing around with any LabVIEW code.
Message 27 of 27
(2,080 Views)