From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS-232 communication of climatic chamber using labview 6i

I am writing a VI in labview 6i and PCL-720 board. I have an instrument placed in a climatic chamber. I need to control the climatic chamber using an RS-232 communication. I should give the signal to climatic chamber to execute(its own program written inside it) every 15minutes. please help me in this regard, I am new to Instrument I/O control.

Thanks in advance,

I would be pleased if someone has a small example related to my question...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,092 Views)
It's pretty hard to give an example with so little to go on. What's the make and model of the chamber? Have you done a search to see if there's an instrument driver for it? Get out the programming manual for the chamber and first try sending the command in Hyperterminal. Once that works, there's a couple of general serial communication examples that ship with LabVIEW. Try using one of them to send the same command. Also, none of the shipping examples append a termination character to the end of the command string. Look in the manual to what, if any is required (i.e. CR or LF). You'll have to add that to your LabVIEW program.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,083 Views)

Do not know what a PCL-720 board is.

You need to know the command set for your chamber and the serial port settings (see the manuals). You could use Windows Hyperterminal to quickly send commands and get data back from chamber to test your cabling.

From there, search LV help for serail port examples, a basic serial read/write vi should get you there. You then need to execute the chamber execute command in a timed loop of 15 minutes duration

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,079 Views)
Thank a lot for both for ur queries.

i really appreciate u people for ur help. Now i got the initiative to start my work. I will proceed now and when i have a doubts i will definitely post my query.

now could u please help me in finding the clock in the labview 6i,( it should start when i start the program, should look like an ordinary clock)? is it available in labview 6i or do we need to design it? waiting for ur replies.

Have a nice time
ciao

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,074 Views)