Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prologix USB/GPIB Talk and Listen

@richjoh wrote:

I noticed a Prologix employee posting info on another thread regarding there product. So not totally oiut of the question. This thread is about inferfacing there product using LV and I don't see a Prologix forum of there own.

No, not out of the question.

The question is how long are you willing to wait for the chance that that employee notices this post of yours?

You've just wasted 3 days on this. It is something that could have been quickly resolved had you contacted them on Day 1.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(2,573 Views)
Ultimately, the goal of all converters its to issue a gpib eoi when issuing a command. This its done automatically with real usb-gpib converters from NI, agilent. Converters that are based on serial such as the prologix serial and the ones from NI, need some mechanism to tell the converter that you have sent the last byte of the command and its now okay to assert eoi. Having to modify the driver to do this with the Ethernet version of the prologix does not surprise me. I don't recall having to do this with the NI converter.

This is one of the reasons I would never use the prologix. The time for me to modify one or more drivers would more than offset the cost difference.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(2,562 Views)

This is hardly a waste of time, I'm having fun.until I receive the NI enet-1000 Smiley Happy

I believe what is happening is the Prologix does not receive a termination character over Ethernet, it times out and does not pass on the character to the Instrument. By that time, my VISA Recieve times out.  Does the "raw" in NI VISA raw SOCKET mean no termination linefeed attached?  With straight GPIB, VISA INSTR works just fine without the appending linefeed.  MAX doesn't allow me to make the RAW socket behave as an INSTR... this is what is needed...Smiley Wink How is NI handling this with there converter???

As far as Prologix support, I followed suggestilon here, I used there website's email page and no response for two days and counting. 

I found my answer from reading the Prologix manual - Data received form the instrument is transmitted over Ethernet unmodified. To the instrument, an un-escapted CR or LF acts as the ETHERNET terminator. The Eth termination character is removed and the GPIB terminator appended.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(2,540 Views)

@richjoh wrote:
MAX doesn't allow me to make the RAW socket behave as an INSTR... this is what is needed...Smiley Wink How is NI handling this with there converter???

I tried editing the visaconf.ini in C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\NIvisa\ but I'm block by admin previlige on Win7. Also, tried to the use the nisyscfg..lvlib:Import.vi and I keep getting error -2147467259 occurred at nisyscfg.lvlib:Import.vi:7240001, Call Chain nisyscfg.lvlib:Import.vi:7240001 Get Instruments.vi.

P.S.

And well this is nice too bad its not useful when wiring code, VISA test panel Configuration lets you append the terminator (\n) at the I/O Settings tab, Smiley Surprised but you can't save this setup for use on BD, what a bummer .

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(2,531 Views)

I heard from Prologix. I came to my own conclusion that there is nothing wrong with there converter its working as it should.

The problem is working out a termination character for TCPIP raw socket instruments using NI VISA Send. There is no way to set the VI to append a termination character using  socket. But, NI must be doing this or something similar with there own converter. I would like more choice that 1 supplier.

Rich J

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(2,526 Views)

Very Instructive! I am having a problem as well with my Prologix USB-GPIB, but I know it works fine in terminal mode. The problem I am having since I am new to LabView, is one of perspective. I can't seem to apply the way I talk to my o-scope in a terminal program and change just the right things to talk to it without errors using 2015LV. I downloaded your first vi, set it to my correct com port, added the address of the o-scope on the GPIB side and hit run. IT WORKS! Thanks for the example code, now that I know it works, I can extrapolate from there. Thanks also for posting here! LabView should be able to connect to the world!

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(2,366 Views)