Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem of connection between Signal Generator R&S SMG and GPIB

Hello everybody,

I have many instruments that I control with GPIB including the signal generator R&S SMG, and I can communicate with the SMG but after a time, MAX NI doesn't recognize it and I can't do anything with it in local mode, It doesn't respond to any button, so to control it, I must turn off the device and then turn on to control it in local mode, but NI MAX doesn't recognize it. But if I wait 5 minutes before turn on the device, MAX recognize it. So I am confuse and I don't know why it happens.
 If you have a solution, it will be perfect,

Sorry for my english,

Regards,

Flo

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,310 Views)

How many other instruments?  Are you sure they all have unique addresses?

This sort of sounds like an issue with the firmware of your device.  You should probably get a hold of R&S tech support.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,305 Views)

Thank you for your answer

I have two others instruments, a spectrum analyzer which uses the adress 21, and a programmable filter which uses the adress 8, and the adress of the SMP is 21, so I'm sure they have unique addresses. I rensigner me if it is the firmware and I tell you if it is that,

Flo

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,300 Views)

@Flod29 wrote:

Thank you for your answer

I have two others instruments, a spectrum analyzer which uses the adress 21, and a programmable filter which uses the adress 8, and the adress of the SMP is 21, so I'm sure they have unique addresses. I rensigner me if it is the firmware and I tell you if it is that,

Flo

Your spectrum analyzer and SMP are both set to 21?  Those are not unique.  I'm really hoping you made a typo there.  Well, not really because that would be your problem.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,298 Views)

No sorry for this mistake, the adresse for the SMG is 28,

Flo

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,292 Views)

I use a driver in LabVIEW which correspond to the driver of the SMH (R&S), maybe when I use this driver, there are a problem, but normally this driver is compatible,

Flo

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,290 Views)

Try swapping the GPIB cables.

Also make sure that they are connected securely.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,277 Views)