Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PMC-GPIB fails NI-488.2 Diagnostics after Each Re-boot of Computer

The PMC-GPIB fails the NI-488.2 Troubleshooting Utility software and GPIB tests as shown in the first image.  The drivers were installed, and then the PMC card was attached to the processor card and everything worked fine (i.e. our application as well as the Troubleshooting Utility).  After shutting down the system and re-booting the GPIB card would no longer communicate and the NI-488.2 diagnostics fail..  The Windows device manager indicates the a working GPIB device.  I have found that the only way to "fix" this problem is to delete the GPIB device from the WIndows device manager prior to shutting down the computer.  Upon re-boot the GPIB device is redetected and drivers re-installed.  The PMC-GPIB will continue to work correctly with both our application and the NI-488.2 Troubleshooting Utility untill the computer is re-booted.  To get it working again the GPIB device has to be deleted from the WIndws device manager and the computer re-booted.  The second and third images show our hardware and software configurations.  I have searched through the forums and help files and have not found a solution for this problem.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,002 Views)

What does the PMC-GPIB have to do with National Instruments???

Contact the manufacturer!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,992 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,989 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/model.pmc-gpib.html

No suggestions for him?

1.) Is this a new PC?

2.) Do other boards work in the slot?

3.) which version of OS ?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,959 Views)

This is a PMC board mounted on a 6U  VME processor card -  an Acromag XVME-6300 running Windows 7 64-bit.

I do not have any other PMC cards to run on the processor card, but this is happening with two (of the same) processor cards and two of the NI PMC-GPIB cards so it is not isolated to one particular piece of bad hardware - not saying that there couldn't be design issues in any of the hardware/firmware/software, just that it is not a particular defective card.

I recently noticed that there is a version 14.0 of the NI-488.2 software on NI's site and gave that a shot.  It still exhibits the same issues, but there is a diagnostic test included that can be run from the command line and it appears to correct one of the issues without having to reboot the computer - ie it passes the software portion of the dNI-488.2 diagnostic utility - the hardware portion still fails.

I am getting the feeling this is a driver issue, with either the PMC-GPIB, the XVME-6300, or Windows 7 64-bit.  I am currently working with NI to try to determine what is happening, and will post more information as it is discovered.

If anyone has had any  experience with the Ni PMC-GPIB running the NI-488.2 software undier Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 I would be interested in hearing from you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,952 Views)