From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCIe-8375 problem

Hi

I recently purchased a PCI-8375, MXI-Express fiber optics cable (10m) and one PxiE-8375. The reason that I purchase PXIe-8375 due to I need to have a multiple chassis connected into daisy chain mode. So, I insert the PCIe-8375 into a desktop with a fiber optics cable and the PXIe-8375 to one PXIe-1075 chassis. I switched on the chassis connected first followed by switch on the PC. I can see the LED on the cable and both PCI and PXIe cards are turn green.

My problem is once I connected in this manner,  my PC cannot  boot in bios as well as windows. I had installed MXI Express compatible software 1.4 in the desktop. However no luck. i am currently curious what I did wrong . Can somebody please guide me ?

currently I am using Window XP services Pack 3.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,830 Views)

Some comments/questions:

When you installed MXI Express BIOS compatibility software, did you also flip the switch on the PCIe-8375?

Does the PC boot when the chassis is turned off?

The PCIe-8375 requires a PCIe RefClk that follows the PCIe specification (the part that specifies the frequency range of the clock).  Many motherboards violate the spec, maybe as many as half.  I've even seen a motherboard where some slots meet the spec and some don't.  If you look on the PCIe-8375 there are 4 LEDs that will blink periodically (I think around 1 Hz).  The blinking should be very regular, no flickering or frequency changes.  If they flicker or blink irregularly then the problem is almost certainly the RefClk.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,780 Views)