From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-GPIB board not detected by NI-488.2 GPIB driver for Linux 0.8.5

I have tried putting the PCI-GPIB board in different slots with no success. Every time I try installing the gpib module, it probes for a PCI-GPIB board and says that no PCI-GPIB board is detected. insmod nigpib yields the following error:
/lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB/kernel/drivers/char/nigpib.o: init_module: No such device

My machine is a Dell Optiplex GX260 and there are three other NI cards in place.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,013 Views)
I've experienced this before with other boards under Linux. My solution was to go to the machine BIOS and turn off pnp (Plug and Play). This will enable linux to correctly assign IRQ's for the GPIB boards at bootup eliminating any incorrect assignment done by the BIOS.

Good Luck..
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,013 Views)
My BIOS did not have an option to turn off PnP. But in looking for it I found that the card was only being detected intermittently by the BIOS i.e. it would appear in the list of devices in BIOS and in Linux's 'lspci' output and then disappear again after a reboot. I think the solution is a replacement card. Thanks for the help though!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,013 Views)