Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-6221 resource name was set by MAX to PXI2::13::INSTR

Hi,

System Windows 7, MAX 5.50f0 , pci-6221, and SCB-68A

I am using an Advantec computer with window 7 32 bits.

MAX 14.0 was not able to show a resource name to this card but it was able to recognized that it was installed. So, after loading several version of NIDAQx,  NIDAQ980f3.exe worked, showing resource names and I was able to do all posible test and calibrations on the card..

I used "Visa find resource" to find the pci-6221 card resouce name but it is PXI2::13::INSTR. The card is directly set up in one of the available PIC slots in the computer.

I have read that the resource name for this card should be something like PCI::13::INSTR when it is setup in the PCI computer slot..

Are there any issues with this name after I program all the inputs and outputs in MAX? 

Will be this and issue when I use the config file created by MAX for the I/O when I call it from my program?

The bad news is also that I am using Labview 8.0 to create this program.

Cheers

Sergio

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,736 Views)

Hello Sergio,

You should be able to use this VISA resource name in your application, the name itself is just a way to identify which device you are communicating with. You can make sure that this is the VISA resource name assigned to your card by going into NI MAX, clicking Tools > NI VISA > VISA options, going under the Aliases tab, right-clicking the PXI2::13::INSTR resource name and choosing "Go to resource". It should take you to the MAX tab for that PCI card.

Although you should be able to use the name to identify your device, the fact that it came up with the wrong instrument type may be a sign that something is wrong with your System Configuration program. You might try downloading and installing NI System Configuration 14.0 at this site: http://www.ni.com/download/ni-system-configuration-14.0/4723/en/

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,713 Views)

Hi Siana,

Thanks for your response.

I installed MAX 14.0 per your link with a positive result . I can find the PCI card with MAX but with the same old name as in the past PXI2::13::INSTR.. I am also able to find the PCI card name with my VI, more precisely the VISA Resource Name in our initialization VI.

I am wandering if the problem is generated from the Advantech computer instead, this computer has a ground plane with several pci slots ...the motherboard is connected to ISA-PCI slot. This setup is almost like using a PXI chassis.

To make it work in my VI, I had to change in the VISA Resource Name- Select VISA Class- I/O Session to Instr instead of GPIB Instr, this change solve the error in the VI.

The bottom line is that the problem was resolved ... Thanks

PS

Although there is a problem with the VISA Write in "initialize pulse controller(GPIB)old.vi" , apparently VISA write has some problem with VISA Resource Name ...it is giving Error-1073807257.(session or object reference issue) .

If I use VISA OPEN only in my VI, there are no error in " initialize pulse controller (GPIB).vi" but I need to use VISA Write to write into the buffer to initialize the pulse controller.

How would you recomned to solve this second issue...that may be related to the Resourse

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,659 Views)

I forgot to include the VI's

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,658 Views)
Things don't make sense. The 6221 is an analog input DAQ device and it's not programmed with VISA. It's certainly not a pulse controller. What are you actually using? Also, DAQmx version 9.8 is not compatible with your old version of LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,651 Views)