Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC I GPIB Device can not find enough resources under XP

Hi Josh,

I'm sorry I can't tell you too much of the computer because actually I don't know that much about it.

But let me try:

First of all it is an Industrial Computer:

- I assume with a Fujitsu Siemens Mainboard

- It has a SCSI Controller

- 2 PCI Slots

- 1 AGP Slot

- 3 Enhanced PCI Slots ( I don't know the name for sure, the Port looks a little bit like ISA but it isn't)

this three Slots filled with: - 2 1Gbit Lan Cards

- 1 special Purpouse Card for our Application

I plugged the GPIB Card in one of the PCI Slots, which one is of no interest, because I tried both and neither one worked.

The other PCI Slot is vacant.

The System is Running on WIN XP.

But as far as I assume the system Configuration can't be the problem, because in another Computer with exact the same configuration the Device works fine.

And if I excange the GPIB cards it has the same effect on both computers. Means in one computer both cards work and in the other none of the two Cards work.

So I'd say it is a system configuration problem... maybe ACPI or something else.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 19
(1,980 Views)

Hmmm, two things:

1) Can you get the exact make of the motherboard?  I'd like to look into the interrupt routing specifics of it.

2) Can you check the version of the file C:\windows\system32\drivers\nipalk.sys?  It should be v1.8 or above.  Please post the exact nipalk.sys version.

We'll keep trying to figure it out!

Scott B
GPIB SW
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(1,974 Views)
I was speaking with Josh and he came up with another suggestion:

3) Upgrade the BIOS on the motherboard to the latest revision

Let us know.

-Scott
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(1,969 Views)
Hi Guys,
so I looked up the Info's you requested:
The Board is a Supermicro X5DA8

The Bios is up to date, it's even Version 1.3c. (But I'm wondering why the manufacturer offers for DL just 1.3b then?!? But whatever.)

And I looked up the software version of the File you told me, it was a little bit confusing, so I made another screenshot.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(1,960 Views)
Hi Scott, hi josh,
do you have any news for me?
Because it's getting a little bit urgent to find a way to activate the GPIB Card.
My last Idea is to reinstall the system but that seems to be a desperate idea because
I'd like to have a more allegable bugfix solution.

Thx in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(1,925 Views)
Since you have another identical system, can you try swapping the hard drives between the two systems? A good test would be to swap hard drives and then try the card in each system when that system has the other hard drive. If the problem follows the hard drive, it is likely a driver/OS/software issue. If the problem stays with the original failing system it is likely a BIOS/hardware problem.

If the problem stays on the original system, try swapping the other PCI cards between the two systems.

If the problem follows the hard drive, is it possible to re-image the hard drive from the original failing system with image from the working system's hard drive?
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(1,918 Views)
Hi dittohead,
thx for the idea, but swapping the HD is not an option I think, because if something happens and XP starts bugging while swapped, we have
no functioning system at all and it's vital for our work.
But a collegue of mine swapped the GPIB cards already, and it worked in the other system, so no card problem, and the working card had the same
resource problem in the buggy system.

So finally I think the savest method will be to reinstall the system, it's almost blank anyway except the drivers for the NI Device.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(1,912 Views)
If you're sure that the BIOS settings are identical, BIOS versions are identical, and other configurations are the same, then reinstalling Windows sounds like a good idea.

Let us know how it turns out.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(1,904 Views)
Hi Alltogether,
finally I solved my IRQ conflict by reinstalling the System.
A few minutes ago, with a totally blank system I installed the driver first and afterwards the GPIB Card and it works
fine. 🙂 Thank God. 🙂

It was not a very scientific solution but the outcome was more important...

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(1,886 Views)