Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC I GPIB Device can not find enough resources under XP

My Problem is that I try to install a GPIB Card (PCI) into a XP System.
The card is recognized by the System but it always sais that there are not enough available
resources. I removed all the other PCI Cards so there can be no conflicts or too few ressources.

I read the troubleshooting advice about some BIOS problems, so far so good, but what is the right BIOS configuration for a GPIB Card? I tryed to set the PCI Bus as MASTER but nothing changed.

Thx for any tips, hints etc..

Message Edited by Gardovan on 08-01-2005 08:20 AM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(4,503 Views)
Hello,

Device manager should be able to tell you exactly what I/O range, DMA channel, or IRQ is overlapping.  Then, you can disable that other device to make sure that you can fix the problem that way.  This Microsoft KB doesn't tell you much more than that: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310123#XSLTH3190121122120121120120

Check the properties of every device and see if you can determine which one is causing the problem.  Then disable that device, reboot, and try running the GPIB troubleshooting wizard.

Let us know how it works out.

Scott B.
GPIB Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(4,467 Views)
Hi Scott,
thx for the advice, but that is where the mysterious part begins, there are no overlapps!?!?
At least none that are shown by the Device Manager.

I uplugged all the other PCI and ISA which I was able to, but nothing changed.
It means the GPIB Card is free to use whatever resource it needs because there is no
other device plugged in, except the system devices integrated on the Mainboard.
I also replugged the GPIB Card into another PCI Slot. - nothing changed

The Card works fine in another System with exactly the same configuration. Just to
eliminate the possibility that we are discussing over a broken device.
But that is not the case...
I also compared the BIOS. 🙂 - Similar

I'll attach two screenshots from the Device Manager, maybe that will be helpfull?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(4,456 Views)
Did you notice, that the PCI-GPIB shares the IRQ 4 with the (ISA-) COM1 ? IRQ sharing is fine with PCI devices. But with ISA devices it might be a problem.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(4,449 Views)
Yes I noticed and I changed it in the BIOS setup already. But unfortunately it did not help at all, still no free Ressources for GPIB.
And to speak of settings, I can't affect the IRQ settings of the GPIB Board in any way, at least I don't know how to do it.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(4,443 Views)

Very strange.  Did you try completely disabling both serial ports in your BIOS, rather than just moving them to another IRQ?  Then, if they still show up in device manager, disable them there too?

Scott B.
GPIB SW
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(4,430 Views)
I disabled both Serial Ports in the BIOS now, still no change.
Could it be any other software Problem? I read about troubles with chipset drivers etc?

I don't think it is a hardware Problem, because like I said in the exact copy of the system the GPIB Card works properly
even with activated Serial Ports and other boards inserted which also need ressources.

Two new screenshots.... ?!? Might be helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(4,423 Views)

You've nearly stumped me. 🙂  Well, just to make sure, have we tried the obvious yet?  Uninstall the driver and reboot.  Check the device manager out of curiousity, then reinstall the driver.  You're using the latest version, right?  We actually just released 2.4 and you can find it here.

Scott B.
GPIB SW
National Instruments

Message Edited by ScottieB on 08-04-2005 11:44 AM

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(4,409 Views)
Hi Scott,
I'm sorry to disappoint you but I tried it several times yesterday. 🙂 To be honest just with the Software Version 2.3 but today I also tried it with 2.4 and still no change.

But due to some comparison to the other System I told you about, which is running fine with GPIB, I found that the ACPI installation is different.
Weather the change in the ACPI Status occured due to the fact that I disabled ACPI on this computer yesterday inside the BIOS to give it a try that maybe the automatic IRQ allocation of the ACPI is the source of the problem. Disabling the ACPI in the BIOS unfortunately didn't solve my Problem with GPIB. After I double checked it with the running system I saw that ACPI is activated in the XP System, in the problematic System ACPI is (now??) deactivated in XP, so maybe that is the problem but I'm not sure about it. Have you ever heard about such a conflict with the ACPI?

I start running out of options. 🙂

Message Edited by Gardovan on 08-05-2005 03:25 AM

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(4,400 Views)
Can you give us some more information about your computer? (manufacturer, model, chipset, ram, etc)

-Josh
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(4,389 Views)