From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS crashes when writing string to Visa serial port

I have an 8 port serial board on a win 2000 computer. latest version of Visa drivers. I can read from the ports Perfectly., But when I write to one either with a VISA Write Vi or using the basic IO functionality of Max the system blue screens.

I can read and write to the ports fine with Hyperterminal The ports are provided by a pair of ox16c954 uarts, with drivers provided by the board manufacturer, Advanced Micro Peripherals.

Are there any configuration issues that I might have missed?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,840 Views)
Larnold;

BSOD means a system level driver has violated system integrity rules. Maybe accessing adress ranges outside its own range, maybe leaving locked pages withoiut unlocking it and many more.
VISA tries to perform asynchronuos IO actions, AFAIK, while terminal programs usually do not. This might cause the different behaviour.
Your only chance, IMHO, is to contact the devellopers of your HW and driver and request their support.

BTW, I have successfully used 1 and 4ch USB2serial adapters from Keyspan and I use a test rack with 32 extra serial ports on an adapter made by Moxa. All work like a charm with VISA and LabVIEW.

Greetings from Germany!
--
Uwe
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,836 Views)