Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIPALK Crash with newest drivers

I just purchased an NI GPIB-USB-HS for my computer.
Upon installing the enclosed drivers (NI-488.2 Version 2.3), my computer now crashed whenever I open MAX.
I haven't even tried using the device in LabView yet. My computer works fine, until I open MAX.
The load image appears, showing NI MAX v. 3.1, and without loading up the application, it blue screens:
The problem occurs whether I plug in the USB GPIB or not. I have no other NI devices.

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC000005, 0xF741D4E4, 0xAAB4F9C8, 0x00000000)

NIPALK.SYS - ADDRESS 0xF741D4E4 base at 0xF73E8000, DateStamp 40ec45b4

How can I fix this problem? I already have the latest drivers as I just ordered the product.
I do not have other PCI cards at all (no PCI slots in my compact desktop).

What does NIPALK do? Do I need it?

System Info:
Dell Optiplex with no PCI slots whatsoever (hence the external USB GPIB device).
Win.XP Pro, 2.8GHz, 1GB RAM.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,713 Views)
hello albertlin,

is sound like you have problems with your usb hub.

did you uninstall all Ni drivers and reinstal, l to prevent that your installation is corrupted?

did you install the latest usb drivers for your pc?

did this occured on different PCs?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,700 Views)
albertlin,

NIPALK.SYS is a component used by some of our products so it is needed, and you should not remove it.  I would recommend that you install the latest versions of NI-488.2, and NI-VISA.  It sounds like you are already using the latest version of NI-488.2, but you should definately install NI-VISA 3.3 which can be foud here.  Also make sure that you have administrator privliges when installing any NI software.

If this does not solve the problem be sure to post again and I'll be happy to continue troubleshooting.

Shawn B.
National Instruments
Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,691 Views)
I just realized that NI-488.2 version 2.4 was just released as well.  You should probably install this version as well.  You can find it for download here.

Shawn B.
National Instruments
Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,685 Views)