From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-VISA step by step configuration under linux

Hi!

I need to connect and acquire a codebar reader connected to RS232.

I have: P4 2.4GHz with PCI6023E, mdk 9.1, LV 6.1 comedi, nicvirte and nivisaserver - nivisa drivers correctly installed and running. Serials RS232 are named ttyS00 and ttyS01 under /dev. devfs is running.

Q:Which name belongs to ttyS0x under linux?
Q:There are some literature on this arg?

note: running "find Serial ports.vi" and probing "VISA find resource" icon the result is:
'ASRL1::INSTR' (=> ttyS01?)

Well, trying to read a barcode, with 'LabVIEW <-> Serial.vi' i have no error and no reading. note cpu load for lv process go to 99%!

Any advice?? thanks in advance!

tetractis
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,970 Views)
Hi,

I find a few things strange here. First normally linux distributions name the serial ports ttySx (where Com1 == ttyS0, Com2 == ttyS1, ...).

Is this just the way mandrake sets things up or is there somthing else at play here?

Secondly make sure that you have +rw permissions for the ports you are trying to get at.

You may also want to test functionality by using something like minicom to test that the data is comming into the port and being transmitted/received correctly.

Hope this helps out!

Aaron K.
Application Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,970 Views)