Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-VISA problem on PXI system

Hi,

I have run this problem through phone in tech support and run up against a wall. I have done everything suggested, but no joy.

Here's the scoop:

When trying to access anything on my PXI system using NI-VISA (from MAX->right click on any board and choose "open visa test panel") I get the error dialog attached to this post.

I have set the permissions under the VISA settings to "*", so I don't know why it would not have permission.

Right now I have the PXI system on a different subnet from my XP system, but I have tried putting it on the same subnet, and even on a x-over cable, with the same results.

Also I have the latest version of NI-VISA 3.3 installed and am using LV 7.1.

Does anyone have a clue what I could try next. The tech guy I talked to didn't seem too familiar with NI-VISA.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,249 Views)
Hi,

Let's see if we can narrow down the problem. I have a few questions.

1) Have you tried opening a VISA Test Panel on the machine that has the hardware? From your post it seems that you only tried opening a VISA Test Panel over a network connection or crossover cable. We need to make sure that the VISA Test Panel will open on that machine before trying it over the network. If you cannot open the VISA Test Panel on that machine then ignore question 2.

2) If you are able to open a VISA Test Panel on the computer with the hardware but not over the network then you need to do the following:

a. On the computer with the hardware, in MAX, go to tools >> NI-VISA >> VISA Options
b. Go to Security and add a "*" just as you had done before, but make sure to click the save button at the top of the page.
c. Go back to VISA Server and select "Start server now".
d. On your other machine in MAX, right-click on Remote Systems and select "Create New".
e. Select Remote VISA Systems, then put the IP address of the machine with the hardware.
f. Now try to open a VISA Test Panel under Remote Systems.

I'm sure you went through all these steps but sometimes people forget the "Save" button. Let me know if you are still getting the same error after all this.

3) It sounds like you have multiple systems. Do the VISA Test Panels work on any of your systems?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Erick D.
NI Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,225 Views)
I wouldn't know how to open a visa test panel on the local pxi system. There is no local os installed there, just the labview rt stuff. How would I do a visa panel directly on that machine?

I have already done option 2.

I only have this one pxi system, but I had the visa test panels working on it before when I had labview 7.0... I can open the DAQmx test panels no problem, and I am running vis no problem, but I can't use visa for some reason.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,210 Views)
Hi,

I was actually under the assumption that the remote computer was running Windows. Since it's running RT lets make sure of the following two items:

1) Is NI-VISA Server installed on the RT machine? This can be found under Remote Systems >> "Controller name" >> Software in MAX. If the NI-VISA Server is not installed then you will need to install NI-VISA again and make sure that NI-VISA Server is selected in the installation list.

2) If NI-VISA Server is installed then lets make sure the correct security permissions are being set on the RT machine. Make sure when setting the permissions that NI-VISA under the RT system is highlighted.

Take a look at the attached screenshot for NI-VISA Server and setting the NI-VISA permissions.

3) It sounds like from your first post that you have tried multiple instruments and ports. Just want to verify.

Thanks,

Erick
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,199 Views)
yes, all that is set up... here is a screencap
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,195 Views)
Hi BJP,

Looking at your screenshot it shows that you are setting the security settings on the Windows machine. You want to set the security settings on the RT machine so make sure NI-VISA under Remote Systems is highlighted before setting the security settings. I circled NI-VISA on your screenshot in the file attached below.

Thanks,

Erick
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,187 Views)
Thanks Erick that was it...what a doofus i am.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,153 Views)