From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI VISA 3.1 and LabVIEW 6.0.2?

Hi,
by now, I have programmed interface VIs for communicating with our devices by using the "old" serial I/O and GPIB VIs. Now, I would like to switch to NI VISA, because I need USB, Ethernet and CAN communication functions now, and because I heard that even the serial functions are supposed to work better than the old versions. Is NI-VISA fully included in the LabVIEW FDS/PDS licence? Are there any restrictions using NI-VISA for company-specific device drivers? Can I use VISA 3.1 together with LabVIEW 6.0.2 without any problems?
Thanks for your help,
best regards,
Gabs
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,631 Views)
Hello,
it´s not possible to use VISA 3.1 with LV 6.0.2. VISA 3.0 and VISA 3.1 are only compatible to LV 7.0 and higher versions.
VISA is included in the LV FDS/PDS license.
NI does not support device drivers which are not written by NI. There are a lot of drivers available on the NI Homepage from other companies but if there are problems with this drivers the customer has to contact the company of the driver.

Regards
Thomas D.
NI Germany
(SRQ 203856)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,631 Views)
Thanks Thomas. In principle, this answers my question. I'm just wondering why other users were successful using VISA 3.0 with LabVIEW 6.0.2 (look for the postings "NI-VISA 3.0 vs TekVISA on LabVIEW 6.0.2", "Error code -1073807253 with LabVIEW 6.02/VISA 3.0 Serial read" etc.) if, as you say, VISA 3.0 and 3.1 are not compatible with LabVIEW 6.0.2? Could you please verify this?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,631 Views)
Certain functions might work after upgrading LV 6.0.2 system to VISA 3.0, but using VISA 3.0 with LV 6.0.2 or earlier is not supported and it´s possible that not all functions work properly. The reason VISA 3.0 cannot be properly used with LV 6.0.2 is that it relies on some exported symbols in LV itself that LV 6.0.2 did not export.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,631 Views)