Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USB to RS232 Converter, Computer doesn't recongnize always.

I am using a 1 port NI USB to RS232 converter, and the computer doesn't see the NI device always on startup.

OS = Windows 7

Labview 2014 SP1

NI Serial 14.0

Most times when I boot up my laptop I go to the Device Manager and I look under "Ports", I see the NI device with its associated COM #.  But there are times when I boot up the computer that it does not see the NI device in device manager.

This has happened on two different computers, both running Windows 7.

I have tried the following:

1)  Turn on the computer, log in and let it finish booting up.  Then turn on instrument. (most successful in getting it to work).

2)  Turn on the instrument, then turning on the computer.

I have tried changing the USB ports on teh computer as well, still doesn't work 100% of the time.  Failure rate is about 33% of the computer not seeing the NI USB to RS232 converter.

In either case, I don't see how it would matter; it is the computer not recongnizing the NI USB-RS232 device which is a passive device and is not associate with the instrument that it is connected too.

If the computer recongnizes the NI USB-RS232 converter, I have no issues with communicating with my instrument.  The only isse that I have is when the computer doesn't see the converter.

This is very cumbersome when trying to design a test stand for production in the computer intermittently sees the NI device.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,954 Views)

Did you cheked your device isn´t damaged? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,855 Views)

Has happened with two different NI-USB-232 devices now.  When the computer does reconginize the NI-USB-232 device it works perfectly.

Thank you for the help!!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,852 Views)

I understand... And what about the drivers? Did you ensure you have the correct one? If not, please check here

Link: http://www.ni.com/downloads/drivers/

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,816 Views)

Current drivers:

It is the NI device drivers delivered to me with the devices.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,799 Views)

@Physics-Engineer wrote:

Current drivers:

It is the NI device drivers delivered to me with the devices.

I would make sure the PC drivers are up to date.

For Dells this means the Notebook System Software/Desktop System Software driver and the chipset driver.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,775 Views)