From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USB-GPIB-HS not recognized by LabVIEW 2013

We received a brand new NI USB-GPIB-HS today.

It is recognized in NI-MAX along with the 3 instruments connected.

Yet, in LabVIEW 2013 SP1 (32-bit) none of the instruments is recognized.

I drop a VISA resource control box onto a new blank VI. The dropdown shows no choices. not even the COM ports .

Is it because we have Tulip enabled?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(5,981 Views)

Hello nyc,

1. Are you able to communicate successfully with your devices using NI MAX VISA Test Panels?

2. What is the version of NI-VISA that you are using?

3. Have you checked that the VISA resource name control is set to detect all instruments in LabVIEW? You can check this by right-clicking the control and selecting Select VISA Class>>I/O Session>>Instr

Nadine H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(5,940 Views)

@Queen_Nadine wrote:

Hello nyc,

1. Are you able to communicate successfully with your devices using NI MAX VISA Test Panels?

2. What is the version of NI-VISA that you are using?

3. Have you checked that the VISA resource name control is set to detect all instruments in LabVIEW? You can check this by right-clicking the control and selecting Select VISA Class>>I/O Session>>Instr

1. Yes

2. NI-VISA 5.4.1

3. Yes; that is how it is set.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,918 Views)

Hello nyc,

Could you try installing the latest NI-VISA driver, namely version 14.0?  You can find it here:

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-visa-14.0/4722/en/

Let me know if that resolves the unexpected behavior.

Regards,

Nadine H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(5,862 Views)

@Queen_Nadine wrote:

Hello nyc,

Could you try installing the latest NI-VISA driver, namely version 14.0?  You can find it here:

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-visa-14.0/4722/en/

Let me know if that resolves the unexpected behavior.

Regards,

Unfortunately, I am no longer working on that project.

I will keep this information in mind for the next time.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(5,855 Views)

Hi there, 

I am having a very similar problem trying to read a Lakeshore 340. I am using Labview 12 and have just updated o MAX 14.0.0f0. I am able to read ad write to he Lakeshores no problem in MAX owever when I look for the I/O session in the VI I get only the option for COM1 and LPT. Any help would be appreciated. 

James 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(5,540 Views)

Hello James,

Could you try installing the newest NI-VISA driver as described above and let me know what the outcome is?

Regards,

Nadine H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(5,499 Views)

Hi Nadine, 

Thanks for geting back to me. I have updated to the lates NI-VISA driver and still have the same problem. I can read/write to both devices in MAX but they do not appear in the LabView VIs.

Regards

James  

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(5,488 Views)

@JamesI15 wrote:

Hi Nadine, 

Thanks for geting back to me. I have updated to the lates NI-VISA driver and still have the same problem. I can read/write to both devices in MAX but they do not appear in the LabView VIs.

Regards

James  

I have since left the company where we were using the USB-GPIB-HS with LabVIEW 2013 32-bit. It was a big shock that it did not work. I had assured my manager that buying a NI adapter would be so much better experience than using the Agilent adapter. NOT.
I was going to try to see if LabVIEW 2014 32-bit solves the problem. You may want to download LabVIEW 2014. It is free to evaluate for 45 days.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(5,479 Views)

Ah... see I am using an Agilent adapter... still not working... Everything can see them, talk to them and read from them except LabView itself... 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(5,476 Views)