From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PXIe 8361 card not detected

Do you mean in the windows device manager ?

I've took a look, the only unknown device I have found to add is :

Fabricant : %StdMfg%

Model : %TsUsbGD.DeviceDesc.Generic%

I have no idea what that thing is and if it's related to the card or a complete other thing

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(3,857 Views)

Maybe you meant adding the device in MXI-Express ... well that's not possible, the only option I have is to scan 😕

I join a copy of my screen, the background window is NI MAX in which appears my PCIe-8361 card.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(3,848 Views)

@Pierre24 wrote:

Maybe you meant adding the device in MXI-Express ... well that's not possible, the only option I have is to scan 😕

I join a copy of my screen, the background window is NI MAX in which appears my PCIe-8361 card.

You don't have an ExpressCard so that BIOS utility wouldn't work for you.

If the device is recognized in NI-MAX, it should be recognized in Windows 7 Device Manager. It wouldn't hurt to check.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(3,833 Views)

Ok for the MXI-Express, didn't fully understand this thing anyway ..

I checked the windows device manager, as you say, if it's detected in NI-MAX it should also be in windows device manager but nothing in the list what seems to be a NI PXIe-8361 😕

Here is the list of the devices :

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(3,828 Views)

On this Windows 7 test PC, we have a DAQ board. It shows up in Windows 7 Device Manager under a category called Data Acquisition Devices. Other categories are Computer, Disk Drives, Display adapters, etc.

In NI-MAX, can you right click on Devices and Interfaces, and select Create New... and add your PXI chassis?

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(3,819 Views)

If you're not getting a link then there's something wrong closer to the hardware level, so I'd start looking there.

On some early x1 cables the cables could be plugged in upside down with a little extra force, and it got easier after the first time.  Since you're moving from an XP computer I suspect you've had the hardware a while.  I'd look at the connectors on each side and make sure the cable is oriented right.  While you're at it, pull the cards out and inspect the cable connectors on both sides to see if everything looks right, and check the pins on the cable.

There are 3 things that need to happen for things to show up in max.  The hardware needs to link and be functional, the BIOS or Windows needs to discover and configure the hardware, and the driver and MAX need to recongnize and take control of the board.

Because you don't have a link LED I think you haven't made it past the first part.  Another way of narrowing down where you're stuck is with device manager, though it's tricky to interpret.  In device manager you can select view->Devices by Connection.  You need to expand things to find the MXI card.  Here's what it probably will look like:

ACPI x64-based PC

->Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System

---> PCI bus

-----> ...PCI Express Root Port...

-------> PCI Standard PCI to PCI Bridge  (Part of PCIe-8361)

---------> PCI Standard PCI to PCI Bridge  (Part of PCIe-8361)

-----------> PCI Standard PCI to PCI Bridge  (Part of PXIe-8360)

-------------> PCI Standard PCI to PCI Bridge  (Part of PXIe-8360)

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(3,817 Views)

"On this Windows 7 test PC, we have a DAQ board. It shows up in Windows 7 Device Manager under a category called Data Acquisition Devices. Other categories are Computer, Disk Drives, Display adapters, etc."

There is nothing like Data Acquisition Devices in the list.

"In NI-MAX, can you right click on Devices and Interfaces, and select Create New... and add your PXI chassis?"

I tried, here are the problems :

- if I select chassis SCXI NI-DAQmx there isn't a PXI-1073 proposed in the list

- if I select PXI chassis they ask me for a NI Embedded controller or a NI Remote controller, in no one of both they propose my PXIe-8361 card

so I don't know what to select to proceed 😕

"On some early x1 cables the cables could be plugged in upside down with a little extra force, and it got easier after the first time.  Since you're moving from an XP computer I suspect you've had the hardware a while.  I'd look at the connectors on each side and make sure the cable is oriented right.  While you're at it, pull the cards out and inspect the cable connectors on both sides to see if everything looks right, and check the pins on the cable."

I checked the orientation 3 times on both side to be sure, the cable connector is all right, all pins are ok.

" In device manager you can select view->Devices by Connection.  You need to expand things to find the MXI card."

Did it, when I expand I get to PCI Express Root Port (there are severals of them) but in no one appears a PCI Standard PCI to PCI Bridge 

By the way thank you for your patience with my problem, I hope we get the solution soon ...

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(3,810 Views)

Do you have a different PC to try this in?  You don't need to install software (unless the DIP switch for BIOS Compat Mode is set, in which case you'd need to clear it or install the BIOS compat software), just look for the bridges in device manager and for the link LED.  This can help show that the hardware is still working.

If there are no bridges in device manager, then the PCIe card isn't linking to the host.  Do you have any other PCIe card?  If you put a substiture into the slot instead of the PCIe-8361, you can find it in device manager (by connection).  That will show you which root port is assigned to that slot.  Just in case it's labelled differently from what I described.

What is the model number of the PCIe-8361?  It should be something like 191376D-01 or 199042B-01L.  What is the PC (or mainboard)?

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(3,799 Views)

Hello,

I have found the problem, the cable connecting my chassis to the card has a problem (but invisible damage, all pins are correct ...)

Now the LINK is on and the chassis appears finally in the list, both for NI MAX and windows device manager.

There is now one last problem, I think it's something to configurate, on the old PC I switched the PC on by switching the PXI chassis on, this is still not working here on the new one, the PC stays off when I switch the chassis on, I have to switch on the PC manually, that's not a problem for me but I suppose that the link will not work properly in this case, any idea what I have to configure ?

Thank you for you help so far, especially for the installation of PXI Platform Services I didn't know.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(3,775 Views)

As long as you power on the chassis before the PC there shouldn't be a problem linking. Everything stays in reset until the PC powers on.  Also, the setting (to wake the PC when you power up the chassis) is stored on the PXIe card and won't change unless you replace the card or run the utility for configuring the power.  Since you haven't done either of those, the wakeup problem is in the PC.  

The MXI cards use WAKE# to power up the PC when the chassis is turned on. Many PCs have options in the BIOS for enabling or disabling the feature, though I don't have an example of the text it might use. Maybe something like "Wake from PCIe devices"?

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(3,768 Views)