Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-PCI 8431

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have a problem of writing frames with fixed frequency 200Hz(5mS) using the NI PCI-8431/2  and  LABVIEW 2013.

I cannot get frames with constant frequency 200Hz(5mS). The frequency is changed during communication.

Why?

Please open enclosed vi and scope picture from the port output of the NI-PCI-8431.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(5,964 Views)
You have a baud rate of 1Mb. What do you mean by a frequency of 200 Hz?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(5,951 Views)

I want send 16 bytes(in this case 16"1")  -  this is my frame - with constant period of 5mS (200 Hz).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(5,945 Views)
Are you talking about the wait function in your loop? That is not at all deterministic on a Windows os. You would need a real-time os to send this.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(5,942 Views)

Ok.

But the time cannot change so : 5mS,10mS,20mS... Please take a look to the picture from the scope.

I can change the While Loop to the Timed Loop,but  I will have the same result.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(5,935 Views)
Of course it can change. The time between iterations will be a minimum of what you set because between iterations, the os will be doing whatever it wants to do. That is strictly a function of a multi-threaded, non-deterministic os. A timed loop is no better. It has nothing at all to do with LabVIEW. You will see the same uncertainty with any programming language. Either switch to LabVIEW real-time or live with the small amount of jitter.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(5,932 Views)

OK.Thanks.

What do u mean :"LABVIEW real time" ? Do  I have to use some of  real time  NI  board ?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(5,926 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author alex62
No. It's an alternative operating system to Windows.

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/11766
Message 8 of 19
(5,921 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author alex62

Thanks a lot.

I will think about  real  time LABVIEW module.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(5,915 Views)

For LabVIEW RealTime, you will nee an NI RT controller.  These are most common in cRIO or PXI.  So you may not be able to use the PCI-8431 anymore.  Possibly the PXI version of that card if you use a PXI RT controller.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 10 of 19
(5,911 Views)