Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-MAX vs. Teraterm

Hi,

I am trying to communicate with a vacuum gauge controller, Varian XGS-600 via RS232.

When I use NI-MAX or LabVIEW for that matter, I have to repeat every command twice before getting the correct reply. It is as if the previous reply is still stuck in the buffer. I would like to emphasize that this happens only using NI-MAX or LabVIEW.

When I use teraterm directly to the COM port, no such error occurs - whatever I enter the device "gets in" immediately and I do not have to repeat the command twice.

I did not change any of the default settings in teraterm, nor in NI-MAX. Do you have any idea where the problem lies?

Thank you,

Amit

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,232 Views)
You probably aren't sending the correct termination character(s). Try appending \r or \n or \r\n. Your manual should tell you what you have to use. The string control/constant in LabVIEW needs to be set for '\' Codes Display.
Message 2 of 6
(5,228 Views)

Does anyone have a vi or enough info to get me started to communicate with a Varian XGS-600 vacuum gauge? I am starting from scratch so I need suggestions on the best interface to use and then put together a vi to monitor pressure.  thanks,  Jeronimo

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,570 Views)

@Jeronimo_56 wrote:

Does anyone have a vi or enough info to get me started to communicate with a Varian XGS-600 vacuum gauge? I am starting from scratch so I need suggestions on the best interface to use and then put together a vi to monitor pressure.  thanks,  Jeronimo

You don't know how to read a manual?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,566 Views)

Hi Jeronimo_56,

By watching the thread, you should have NI Visa installed to communicate by RS 232. If you want to create some basic tests, you should be able to use NI MAX, but if you want to create a whole project, you should need to go to NI website to search if this instrument has a driver that you can use on LabVIEW. Follow this link.

Also, you are going to be needing to read the user manual of this instrument in order to understand the end of line commands, the protocol that it uses, so basically how this instrument works. In there, you should be able to see which commands are the ones that you need to use in order to communicate using the serial port.

Hope this helps.

Luis C.

Applications Engineer.

Message 5 of 6
(4,517 Views)

Excellent help Lucas and more in line with the kind of help I was hoping for. Once the instrument arrives we''ll indeed use the manual to learn the instrument commands and learn what's within as far as communications to the instrument. The bigger intention was actually to begin a search for any historical use of LabVIEW to monitor the Varian XGS600 instrument. thanks for your helpful response.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,513 Views)