Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI MAX returning wrong data on non-SCPI instruments

I am trying to use an NI USB to GPIB converter to read data from an HP8563E and an EMCO 1060 turntable controller. In both cases the data that comes back on a read command using the VISA interface in MAX is not coming in correctly. The data is close but seems to be scrambled up slightly. Both of these are old non-SCPI boxes. I am not sure if the NI device is capable of reading these correctly, or if there is some set-up that I do not understand. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,617 Views)

Hi Stewart,

It seems like a driver issue, the instrument driver can be found here: http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=047150BB30A857EAE0440003BA7CCD...

What version of VISA do you have? I think it is worth while updating to the latest version. The latest is 15.5 and the downloading link is: https://www.ni.com/en/support/downloads/drivers/download.ni-visa.html

Ren H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,578 Views)

Thanks for the help Ren. I am using the NI Measurement and Automation Explorer VISA Test Panel in version 15.3.0f0

All I am trying to do is read data back from the instrument one command at a time for troubleshooting purposes. The driver you pointed to may help with the 8563E SA, ( Although it is not clear which of the 4 links I would need since I do not have a copy for LabView.)

However, I could not find a driver on your website for the EMCO Model 1060 Turntable Controller which has the exact same problem as the 8563E. Do you have a driver for that box?

How would I be able to tell which driver to load out of the 4 choices?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,571 Views)

Hi Chris,

Since you are not using LabVIEW, the instrument driver is not necessary as they are essentially NI-VISA calls. I think it might be a setting issue since the returned data is close but scrambled slightly. Can you make sure the VISA settings are correct, like the baud rate.

If you send a very simple command, like *IDN?\n, does that work properly? A loopback test is also worth a try. 

Ren H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,559 Views)