From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-MAX doesn't even have a "scan for instruments" button

There is no scan for instruments. Just Refresh  F5.

You can try scanning for instruments using Agilent IO Control software.

Also, try restarting your PC.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(3,813 Views)

Well then why would it be different from all the other methods of doing this? Especially since I'm using Labview 2012 which should have the button. I have already pressed f5 and I have restarted my computer.

I could use Agilent IO, but the whole point here is to not use Agilent IO and access it through Labview and MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(3,807 Views)
The version of LabVIEW is absolutely irrelevant. It is not used at all in MAX. It's only relevant once you get the instruments recognized so try the agilent utility.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(3,804 Views)

Ok, well that still doesn't really help. I still can't access the instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(3,801 Views)
If the agilent software does not find any instruments, it's probably time to contact them. I'm not sure how agilent does it but MAX uses very low level GPIB calls and not VISA. The low level GPIB driver for you is the one from agilent. I would hope that you did not install NI-GPIB.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(3,792 Views)

If I recall correctly (I'm not at my work comp atm) the agilent software does detect the instruments. It's just MAX that has an issue. I have not installed NI-GPIB because I figured that it wouldn't work with an agilent cable and instruments. 

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(3,787 Views)

Hi,

I had a similar problem where I could not find the "Scan for instruments" button on MAX, even though MAX detected my GPIB-USB-HS.

I found out that my problem was because my USB-GPIB-HS cable was associated with an incorrect driver by Windows, and not the NI-488.2 driver.

I corrected my problem using the following link:
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0F6177D3EF24DCA4862578F7000036CC

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(3,501 Views)