From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-DMM vs. IVI-DMM - Soft Front Panel

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

I have been developing a testing application that will eventually use a PXI-4070 DMM (currently simulating it in NI MAX).  I had been using the IVI DMM functions, but ran into a problem when I couldn't do a diode test (diode test is apparently not officially standardized by IVI yet).  So I switched to using the NI-DMM functions. For the most part, it was a pretty seamless transition, but there is one thing I have not been able to replicate with the NI-DMM simulation that I could do with the IVI-DMM.  When I used the IVI-DMM functions, and ran the VI, a popup opened that allowed me to enter in the simulated value that I wanted the DMM to read.  I can't get this to work with the NI-DMM functions.  Is it possible?  If so please let me know how to activate.  Thanks.

GSinMN 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,783 Views)
As far as I know, that sort of simulation ability only exists for IVI.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,764 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GSinMN

The advanced simulation exists only on the IVI class driver level (IviDmm). The IVI class drivers implement simulation features by using simulation drivers. The IVI Compliance Package (ICP) installs a simulation driver for each IVI class driver. Each simulation driver plugs in to the corresponding class driver and performs flexible output data simulation. The NI-DMM driver is a specific driver that supports series of NI DMMs, and therefore does not include the advanced simulation feature.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,730 Views)

Thanks for the clarification everyone.  I'll just have to split functionality (use IVI-DMM when I want to simulate, and NI-DMM when I need a diode test).

GSinMN

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,696 Views)