Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-9148 Compact RIO not recognized after LabVIEW 2012 to 2015 upgrade

I am running a small scale lab test since several years using LabVIEW 2012 and the Compact RIO NI-9148.

Recently I have bought the extra module AM-9898 to expand the system. I have mounted it in the first available cRIO slot (slot 4).

However, when I try to add the module in my LABVIEW project (by right-clicking the Chassis NI 9148, selecting New.....C Series Modules....), I can't add it: slot 4 shows

"Unknown (Slot 4)

This module is not supported by the current versions of LabVIEW and NI-RIO.  Contact the Module manufacturer for more information about how to use this module with LabVIEW."

(See attachment)

I have an up-to-date system according to NI Update Service (LabVIEW 2012 SP1 - Version 12.0.1f5 (32-bit)

I have downloaded and succesfully installed the AM-9898 driver (version 1.0.19) using the VI Package Manager.

The solution to the problem above was to upgrade my LabVIEW system to LabVIEW 2015 and include the FPGA Module.

This, I have don, and I also downloaded all the new RIO drivers.

However, when I now open my LabVIEW project, I get an error icon in front of the NI-9148 Module, stating

"The plug-in for the selected item is not installed on your system or the plug-in has an expired license. Please contact National Instruments". (see picture in attachment)

When I open the Remote Systems - Measurement & Automation Explorer, I can still see the NI-9148 (state: running), and I can even restart it.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,437 Views)

Hi JSpiessens,

It sounds like you have an issue with your NI-RIO driver. You could try repairing the driver:

1) From the Windows start menu go to Control Panel and select “Uninstall a program”

2) Find in the list ‘National Instruments Software’, double click this

3) In the window that appears select NI-RIO

4) Click repair and then insert the installation CD or navigate to the installation files

5) Reboot your computer when complete

If this does not fix the problem you could try completely reinstalling the RIO drivers.

Hope this helps,

Joe P
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,396 Views)

JSpiessens,

I do agree with Joe that you might have an issue with your NI-RIO Driver. If you are using LabVIEW 2015 then I would recommend running NI-RIO 15.0.

FIY, if you are looking for other RIO drivers for older LabVIEW versions: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/CBBA45652681AF5E86257D7400508DB3

Order of installation is important

You should install LabVIEW first, LabVIEW Real-Time, LabVIEW FPGA and NI-RIO driver as last.

After this I would recommend going to VI Package manager and install AM-9898 HART Interface Toolkit for LabVIEW 2015.

Lastly, once you install HART toolkit checkout examples that come with it. Go to LabVIEW Find Examples>> Click Search Tab>> Search for AM-9898.
Norice you need to add the AM-9898 module under FPGA target. 

Let us know if that helps,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,381 Views)

Hi JosephP,

Thanks for your helpful tips but I have not solved it yet...

I have tried several things since.

First, I noticed through the Measurement & Automation Explorer that the compact-RIO software for the cRIO NI9148 Module was still an old version (LabVIEW Real-Time 11.0.1 - NI-RIO  4.1 January 2012)

So I have updated this to the LabVIEW Real-Time 12.0.1 - NI COmpactRIO 15.0 - August 2015.

However, the problem was still there. When I opened my project in LabVIEW 2015, I still get the yellow sign next to the controller indicating that it could not be recognized.

When I tried to add a new FPGA target to the project, no new targets could be found.

I also some kind of VISA error in the Measurement & Automation Explorer (see attached file).

After that, I followed your suggestion & the next suggestion.

The installation of 1/ LABVIEW 2/FPGA and 3/ NI RIO Drivers was done in the correct order.

However, the HART Module was plugged in before & also the driver for this M-9898 (version 1.0.19) was installed before this, when I was still working in the LabVIEW 2012 environment.

I installed it using VI Package Manager.

So I tried the following:

- deleting the M-9898 (version 1.0.19) driver

- reinstalling the driver using the VI Package Manager

When i restarted the project under LabVIEW 2015: same error

When i restarted the project under LabVIEW 2012: same error

Then, I physically removed the HART Module out of the RIO controller, and restarted the controller.

When i restarted the project under LabVIEW 2015: same error

When i restarted the project under LabVIEW 2012: NO ERRORS! --> everything back as before

So this indicates that there seems to be a problem between LabVIEW 2015 and the NI-RIO NI9148 Module.

Any furhter help / tips would be great as I am still stuck now...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,309 Views)

See post above as reply.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,308 Views)

Hi JSpiessens

The VISA error could indicate that there is a problem with the software on the cRIO. Have you tried formatting the cRIO disk and reinstalling the latest available software for it?

Joe P
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,264 Views)

In the LabVIEW 2015 upgrade, the Real-Time module was not included.

This could be the rootcause, I will check this now first.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,238 Views)