Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-488: Command requires GPIB Controller to be Controller in Charge

I'm getting this same error in LabVIEW 2013.  What I do not understand is why this misleading error has not been addressed since it was reported in 2006 in this thread, and quite probably was reported even earlier through other channels.  Why would NI let this problem languish for a DECADE???  If there is one thing I learned while working as a senior software developer for Cadence Design Systems, it is that error messages need to be clear and specific in order to be useful.  There is a HUGE difference between a problem with a file path and GPIB Controller mode issues.  There is NO good reason why LabVIEW can't distinguish between these, especially with 8+ years of notice.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(2,850 Views)

There is a very good reason that you will not see the error codes changed - backwards compatability. A large number of programs still exist that use the low level GPIB and File functions and changing the drivers to make error codes unique would break these old apps. Since there is in fact a huge difference between file paths and GPIB functions, it is very easy to determine the actual source of the error so the expense of breaking existing applications is not worth it.

Message 12 of 15
(2,847 Views)

I am getting the same error when i am building .exe . I am using Labview 2013.

I cannot post my code here.

In my code, one of the subvis have the 3D plot. I calculate the data, and this data is plotted in 3D surface.

I notice I get the error only when I have 3D plot. If I disable the 3D plot, then there is no error in the build.

With 3D plot, the build fails with the Error 1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(2,425 Views)
Since you do not have a gpib problem and this is an old thread, please start a new one on the LabVIEW board.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(2,412 Views)