Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-488: Command requires GPIB Controller to be Controller in Charge

Hi

I was attempting to build my VI and recieved this error.

Error 1 occurred at Invoke Node in ABAPI Save Libraries New Dest.vi->ABAPI Dist Build LLB Image.vi->ABAPI Copy Files and Apply Settings.vi->EBEP_Invoke_Build_Engine.vi->EBUIP_Build_Invoke.vi->EBUIP_Build_Invoke.vi.ProxyCaller
Possible reason(s):
LabVIEW:  An input parameter is invalid.
---
NI-488:  Command requires GPIB Controller to be Controller in Charge.

I can't very well post the block diagram because of its sheer size, also I have removed all GPIB functionality from the VI.

Thanks,
Ken
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(18,503 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for posting to the NI Discussion Forums!  Let me first start off and let you know that you have right to be confused – though this message indicates that there could be a GPIB problem, you are indeed probably not experiencing any problems with GPIB.  The error number for this problem is defined by both LabVIEW and GPIB so LabVIEW gives both to you.

That being said, this error could be tricky to resolve.  First of all we will need to know more about your application – what its doing, what your trying to build it to (i.e. exe or dll), maybe the version of LabVIEW, the OS version, etc…  I have encountered this problem when using shared variables in sub-VIs and building the VI into an exe.  In this case sometimes reinstalling LabVIEW 8 will resolve the problem, other times removing shared variables from sub-VIs will fix the problem.  You might want to start out building a much smaller VI that can reproduce the same problem – start with your main VI and keep stripping items out until you have a really simple VI in which to replicate the problem.  You’re welcome to post that VI when done too and I can try to build it over here.

Please let me know if you can provide any additional information on your program, and whether the suggestions provided above fix the problem.

I look forward to hearing back from you –

Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(18,459 Views)
Hi.
Im experiencing the same problem when trying to build an exe with labview 8.01. I have previously been succesful in bulding and I have a build folder. Any idéas whats causing this pretty cryptic error message? I don't use any GPIB in the code or in the hardware. Only an EPOS motorcontroller DLL.

Best Regards
Anders Viljosson
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(17,799 Views)
Viljo,

Welcome to the discussion forums.  I have some additional questions for you:
1.  What OS are you using?
2.  Can you please include a screenshot of the error?
3.  What NI hardware are you using?
4.  What is your current setup?
5.  Can you run the LabVIEW VIs without error outside of the executable?

A_Ryan
AES
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(17,774 Views)

hi,

I have the same problem when I want to save my 2D array as jpg file. I get "NI-488: Command requires GPIB Controller to be Controller in Charge" when.  I have attached an image of the simplified portion of my vi block diagram. The error is still the same.

Thanks for helping.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(15,882 Views)

Please reread the earlier posts. You are NOT getting an NI-488 error. The message says possible reason(s). Note the plural. Your error is LabVIEW:  An input parameter is invalid. Check the input to the flatten to pixmap and verify it is truly an 8 bit pixmap.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(15,856 Views)

Same error here, when building a relatively simple vi that runs without error from within the development environment.

Any advice? Labview 8.5.1 professional.

Bill M

Guilford, CT

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(15,325 Views)

Necro'ing and old thread but it relates to my problem

Same error as all posters above. Attempting to write a file via the "Write to Spreadsheet File (string).vi" 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(14,309 Views)

I am getting the same error while sending a mail through VI. 

My OS is XP and here is my code.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(13,059 Views)

Whenever I get the error you all are describing it is always related to a file or filepath error or the file you are tryng to read is not in the location where it is looking.

Thanks

Tim

Message 10 of 15
(13,008 Views)