Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My application built with Labview 6.1 running on Windows '95 does not recognize COM1.

I am using VISA vi's to try and communicate serially using COM1. I have installed VISA runtime engine 2.6, which seems to be the last version still compatible with '95. Do I still need to install the VISA device drivers? Is there something else missing? I've also included 'serpdrv' (just in case) & 'lvrt.dll' in my build. I can see 'COM1' on the hardware control panel. I've tried modifying the 'visaconf' file, but it didn't work - the file gets replaced with one that does not list COM1. HELP!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,064 Views)
Hello,

I don�t know if you have tried using the standard name and not the VISA Alias. COM1 is a visa alias that you specify in MAX. MAX will modify the visaconf.ini file that apparently you have modified.
Check this document and let me know if this helps.
My VISA Executable Does Not Run on a Non-Development Machine

Basically it says that you need to call the serial port as ASRL1::INSTR.

Hope this helps.
Thank you,

Ricardo S.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,064 Views)
Unfortunately, ASRL1:INSTR is not given as a choice. Since it's a laptop with docking capabilities, the choices should be ASRL1,2,5 & 10, which stand for respectively COM1,2,5, and LPT1. COM1 = normal serial port, COM2 = docking station serial port (even though the docking station is not connected), COM5 = Infrared port, and LPT1 is of course the printer port. VISA will not accept ASRL1 or COM1, and I can't figure out why.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,064 Views)