Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring both voltages and resistances with DMM + Switch every second

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have a PXI-4071 DMM and a PXI-2527 Switch. I need to measure 24 differential voltages and 2 thermistor resistances every second. I'm trying to do switch scanning with the DMM. The switch will be in 2-Wire 32x1 Mux mode.

My question is, is it feasible to change the DMM measurement type between DC Volts and 2-wire Resistance and acquire 26 measurements every second? Is it going to affect the DMM's lifespan in any way?

Any relevant tips will be appreciated.

Regards,

Pomirobotics

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,064 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chickentree

Changing measurement modes is kind of an involved process for the DMM and is slow.  I would use a 5V supply and a resistor to make a voltage divider with the Thermistors and then you can calculate the resistance.

Also, is there a reason you are not just using a PXI DAQ?  It would be a lot simpler if all of the voltage levels are within 10V of ground.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,059 Views)

Thanks for the answer. It seems I will have to go with the voltage divider option after all.

I already have a PXI-6225 DAQ (which can provide 5V for the voltage divider). While each of the 24 differential voltages is less than 5V, some individual voltages can go over 100V referenced to ground. It seems there is no way to use the DAQ for this application.

Regards,

Pomirobotics

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,057 Views)