Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measurement and Automation Explorer quits

We have an old automatic test system running with an 80386 controller and a NI ISA GPIB interface. Because parts for the old computer are becoming difficult to find, I tried replacing it with a pentium computer equipped with a new NI PCI-GPIB interface. Installation seemed to proceed normally, but when I started Measurement and Automation Explorer, (on Windows XP Professional), selected the interface and told it to scan for instruments, MAX just closed with no error message. I then removed all of the instruments connected to the bus, putting them back on one-by-one until I found the one that caused the problem. It is a CDS 53B IAC mainframe. I am attaching the NI Spy data I recordered when this happened.

Even with the CDS unit removed from the system I get strange behavior from other equipment.

-- An HP4947A is correctly identified, but MAX reports that it does not respond to "*IDN?".
-- An HP3777A is not detected at all by MAX, and if it's the only connected equipment I get a message suggesting that I connect something to the bus.

An Elgar 501SL and an HP6654A seem to work properly.

I find this odd, as the system functions fine with the old controller + old computer.

Thanks,
Jerry

P.S. The NI Spy data is attached as a zip file, because the system said that the file extension ".spy" was not valid for upload!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,266 Views)
Hi Jerry:

First, what version of NI-488.2, and NI-VISA do you have?

In reference to MAX crashing, if you have NI-488.2 version 2.2, I would recommend that you upgrade to version 2.3. You can get the upgrade from the following site:

http://www.ni.com/support/gpib/versions.htm

As for the instrument that does not respond to *IDN?, there is a chance that this is not a valid command for your instrument. Can you communicate with it via a VISA session, or through interactive control?

Also, just because MAX does not recognize your instrument does not mean that you will not be able to communicate with it. Again, have you tried communication via interactive control and "ibic" commands?

Thank you,

Emilie S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,245 Views)
Emilie,

As a matter of fact, I am using version 2.2 of NI-488.2 software. I'll try again with the updated version you recommend. The equipment has been in heavy use today, but as soon as it's free I'll try your other suggestions. I'll leave a note here with the results, one way or the other.

Thanks for your help.

Jerry
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,236 Views)
I appologize for this terribly late follow-up. The updated driver fixed the problem with MAX quiting abruptly. I have been unable to proceed further with the other questions, and have had to resign myself to making the system work with a replacement 386 SBC as the most expedient solution to the problem. To goal is to replace the old system controller without having to modify the software. Wish me luck!

Emilie, many belated thanks for your help.

Jerry
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,135 Views)