Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measurement and Automation Explorer gets different Visa resource names for serial ports each time I run it.

Hi I am trying to run some old software on an XP machine.

The Measurement and Automation Explorer gets  different Visa resource names every time I run it

eg it starts off with ASRL15:INSTR, ASRL16:INSTR and the next time I run it it says ASRL21:INSTR and ASRL23:INSTR (not sure of the exact nubmers)  and the numbers keep getting bigger.

Any clues?

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,052 Views)

I'm guessing you are using USB to RS232 adapters.  And I'm also willing to bet that each time you reboot your computer or remove and plug in your adapter, the computer sees it as a new virtual port.  If you go into your devices, you will likely see the same virtual serial ports.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,047 Views)

No,  no adapters.  Just Com1 and LPT 1

MAX is giving them different names each time.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,044 Views)
You have an internal com port on the motherboard? Please provide the version of NI-VISA that you are using. Do you see the same thing happening in Windows device manager?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,040 Views)

Yes I have a serial port on the mother board.

The Measurement and Automation Explorer version is 4.7.7

Here:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/936298454061FE5886256C2A0060B321

I read:

If the issue is still not resolved, disable the COM Port, which will release the current session with that port. This can be done by accessing the properties of the COM Port.

• Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7: Open Control Panel and click the System icon. Next, select the Device Manager tab. Expand the Port category, highlight the COM Port, and click Properties. On the General tab, select Do not use this device (disable) in the Device usage pulldown list.

I did that.  Rebooted the computer.  Max was getting the numbers wrong still.  I mangaged to manually enter ASRL1::INSTR in the application I am trying to run and it is actually sending stuff out the serial port now so I suppose I have managed to bypass the issue.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,036 Views)
I asked for the VISA version but it sounds like s Windows problem.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,027 Views)

I am facing same issue. Also, when I re plugged the com port number get changed!

In my MAX, I getting the reading type above similar. What should I do! Also I wanna ask can we use directly USB 232 Port and can connect the pc port. ?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,488 Views)