Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) can't find any serial ports

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have searched half of the internet, but I can't find any solution for my Problem. Maybe someone of you have a clue 🙂

My System Information:

LabView: LabView Professional Development System 2015 (32bit)

MAX: Version 15.0.0f0

NI-VISA: 15.0

NI-Serial 14.0

I have attached a screenshot of MAX at the end of my post.

All windows drivers for the serial ports are correctly installed (see other screenshot). But in MAX, I can't find these ports. There is only the error code "0xBFFF0011 (VI_ERROR_RSRC_NFOUND)". If I want to add the COM Port via "Devices and Interfaces" --> "New" --> "Port (Serial or Parallel)", I can only choose between COM1-COM4 or LPT1-LPT4. But I need COM9!

Does anyone have any idea what I do wrong?

Thank you

deZeus

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(8,171 Views)

@deZeus wrote:

Hello,

I have searched half of the internet, but I can't find any solution for my Problem. Maybe someone of you have a clue 🙂

My System Information:

LabView: LabView Professional Development System 2015 (32bit)

MAX: Version 15.0.0f0

NI-VISA: 15.0

NI-Serial 14.0

I have attached a screenshot of MAX at the end of my post.

All windows drivers for the serial ports are correctly installed (see other screenshot). But in MAX, I can't find these ports. There is only the error code "0xBFFF0011 (VI_ERROR_RSRC_NFOUND)". If I want to add the COM Port via "Devices and Interfaces" --> "New" --> "Port (Serial or Parallel)", I can only choose between COM1-COM4 or LPT1-LPT4. But I need COM9!

Does anyone have any idea what I do wrong?

Thank you

deZeus

If Windows does not see your device, then NI-MAX certainly won't.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(8,156 Views)

@nyc: Yeah. You are right. If Windows does not see my device, then NI-MAX certainly won't.

But as you can see a few lines above, all necessary drivers are correctly installed and Windows "see" my devices (as you can see in the attached screenshot). Only MAX can't see any serial ports.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(8,153 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author deZeus

I looks like something is wrong with your NI VISA install (since MAX isn't finding ANY ports).  Make sure NI VISA is enabled (sometimes other kinds of VISA get in the way) or try reinstalling NI VISA.  The NI Serial is not needed since you are not using NI serial ports.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 6
(8,146 Views)

Thank you for your fast response.

NI VISA is enabled (so far as I can see). I have installed NI VISA 24h ago, but I'll do it tomorrow again. I hope it will resolve the problem.

deZeus

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(8,138 Views)

Thank you crossrulz!

First I deinstalled:

• NI-Serial
  • NI-VISA
  • NI SignalExpress
  • LabVIEW 2012

After that, I have re-installed only NI SignalExpress. And now, as you can see in the attached sreenshot, MAX shows me all serial ports!

Thank you!

deZeus

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(8,111 Views)