From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MXI network detection

Hi,

I have a star topology MXI setup, as follows:

- a "master" chassis and controller + NI 8374 modules

- several "slave" chassis, each with its own NI 8370, connected to one 8374 from the "master"

As far as I know I can't "predict" the order in which the MXI chain's elements will be detected.

However, I'd like to configure the whole MXI network in the following manner:

Master                          Slave (MAX view)

8374 Slot 3 ->                Chassis 1

8374 Slot 4 ->                Chassis 2

8374 Slot 5 ->                Chassis 3

8374 Slot 6 ->                Chassis 4

etc.

Basically I'm looking for a solution for the following issue:

After powering on the whole MXI chain how can I do the following "detection" method?

- ask the 8374 module from Slot X what slave chassis (SN) he "sees"?

- ask the 8374 module from Slot Y what slave chassis (SN) he "sees"?

etc.

I thought I could power on the slave chassis sequentially and detect which 8374 it is connect to...

However this would result in a more time-consuming detection.

Waiting for your replies...

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,361 Views)

Hi Kertesz_Levente

I am not sure if this also aplies to MXI interfaces, but in good theorythe System Configuration API should do the trick for this. Have you considered this as an option? I do not have the hardware set right now to test it, but I would definetely recommend you to check this option if you have not. 

System Configuration Community

WenR

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,309 Views)

Hi WenR,

Thanks for the reply.

I think the System Configuration API does apply to MXI as well.

I am currently experimenting with two possibilities:

1. List the full "bus chain" elemenst for all master-slave connections.

The problem with this could be that some parts of the "bus chain" I'll receive might be fix (fix addresses), but others will be set dyinamically by the Bios.

I guess I could find the logic behind it, however I don't know if it is worth making the soulution comlpetely general (to be able to use almost any kind of chassis).

2. Set the chassis numbering manually in MAX (of the master controller) every time a new slave chassis is added to the system.

Then, detect if Chassis 1 is present, is Chassis 2 is present,etc.

Even if the settings are manually made, I can guarantee that slot 3 will have Slave Chassis 1 connected to it, etc.

The above two scenarios all use the System Configuration API.

If you'd have any other sugestions feel free to reply.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,294 Views)

Kertesz_Levente

I definitely agree with you, probably having a generic application would be worth if the system is likely to be modified in the future, but it might also consume much more development time! As long as the application does what you need it to do, and provides clear instructions on what can and cannot be done, there is not strict rule on how to develop a project.

The second option sounds quite easier to implement, and at the end, the functionality is likely to be the same, I would probably go with that one as well!

WenR

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,266 Views)