From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX does not allow me to rename tektronix oscilloscope

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,  I'm trying to set up my  TDS 2014C Tektronix oscilloscope but I have some questions:

1)  I cannot rename the device in MAX (I have TekVisa installed).  Here's what I get (see attached jpg file).  So what is happening here?

2)  My scope is connected via USB, and MAX sees it,  but all of the examples are for serial communication, and I see no VI's for USB, yet when downloading the instrument driver it said compatible with USB.  What should I do to get examples up and running for USB?   

Thanks in advance ....

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,388 Views)

actually, I found from the drop-down menu in the VISA resouces name (from the given example),  the name of my device (very long name, but at least I did not have to type it).

When I ran the example VI,  communication was established, but very sluggish.  

The front panel has a serial comm box,  what I'm wondering is how is the device communicating?  Is it through a psuedo serial port that's looks like a USB through VISA?   There is no option (no VI ) for USB.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,384 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jweaver
First, there's no reason for Tek-VISA to be installed. You just need NI-VISA, especially if you plan on using LabVIEW, Second, how sluggish is sluggish? Seconds, minutes? What command are you sending in MAX? Third, your scope is a USBTMC device and is listed as such. There is no specific example for USB since one is not required. The same code works for GPIB, serial, or USB. You just ignore the serial settings control.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,378 Views)

Thanks for the info, I did not know of USBTMC before.  Makes more sense now.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,358 Views)