Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX crashes when scanning for gpib instruments

MAX closes without comment when I attempt to scan for instruments with a tektronix TDS3014B scope attached. This problem does not occur with other instruments.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,997 Views)
Hello Kevin,
When you scan for instruments in MAX, is this the only instrument attached to the GPIB bus?
Have you tried scanning for this instrument in MAX on a different computer? If you have another tektronix TDS3014B instrument available, do you see similar behavior from that one as well?
What are the other instruments that you are using?

Swapnil P.
National Instruments Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,996 Views)
I've tried scanning for instruments with the TDS3014B being 1) the only instrument connected, 2) one of many instruments connected and 3) not being one of the instruments connected. The scan causes MAX to crash in cases 1 and 2 but succeeds in case 3. I tried scanning with the TDS3014B connected on different computers and MAX does not crash. I attached the ni reports for those computers. I do not have another TDS3014B available to try. When scanning case 2 some of the other intruments connected are the HP8920, Agilent E3632A and Agilent E8257C, but I don't think having other instruments connected matters since case 1 causes the crash also.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,996 Views)
Is somebody at NI actively researching this? When should I expect a solution? Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,996 Views)
Hello Kevin,
Can you post the ni report for the machine that crashes? That way, we can find out what is the difference between the machines that do not crash and the one that crashes (hardware and software).
I'd suggest upgrading to the latest drivers for NI 488.2 (http://www.ni.com/support/gpib/versions.htm) and NI-VISA (http://www.ni.com/support/visa/default.htm), if you already do not have those. Thanks,

Swapnil P.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,996 Views)
I already posted the file. My orignal post contained the spy log when the crash occured and the ni report of of the machine it crashed on. The interesting thing is that the computer it crashes on has a newer GPIB driver than the computers that it does not crash on.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,996 Views)
Hello Kevin,
Did you try using the lower version of NI 488.2 driver (v 1.7) on this computer? Does MAX still crash? This way there might be some additional information available regarding where exactly the problem is. Please let know. Thanks,

Swapnil P.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,996 Views)
MAX does not crash with NI 488.2 driver (v 1.7) I've attached the spy log and ni report.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,996 Views)
So it looks like MAX is crashing when you are scanning for TDS3014B with NI 488.2 v2.2 only (as of now). What type of GPIB card are you using (AT/PCI-GPIB/PCI-GPIB+/etc.)? Do you have any other GPIB hardware attached on the computers that might need v1.7 to work? (pl. see this document for more information http://www.ni.com/support/gpib/versions.htm). Finally, if you install NI-488.2 v2.2 on any of the two computers that currently have v1.7 and which work now, do they still work?
Thanks,
Swapnil P.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,996 Views)
The type of GPIB card that I am using is the PCI-GPIB (777158-01). This is the only GPIB card in the computer. This is also the same card that the computers that work are using. If I install NI-488.2 v2.2 on any of the two computers that currently have v1.7 and then MAX will crash when scanning for TDS3014B.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,996 Views)