From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX and Async Read/Write

Didn't MAX use to have an option to perform async read and write in the "Communicate with Instrument" window? I'm presently using Measurement & Automation Explorer 5.4.0f0. Please explain how I can use MAX to start and terminate async read and write calls.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,120 Views)

I would expect that you would want a syschronous tranfer with the VISAIC utility.  Asynch calls for a single device user interface just make very little sense to me.  Even if you are using a VISA Class that supports the IO completion event (not true of VISAIC opening a com port)

Dod you enable the IO Completion event?  Without some hardware on this machine I can't really see if that would enable asynch options

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,114 Views)

VISAIC did use to support Async. See figures 7 and 8 on this link. It appears this was silently removed in later versions. When doing a Read or Write with Async checked, I believe it then showed a terminate button while it was executing. The benefit was this let you cancel the operation rather than waiting for a timeout error. Plus it was a quick sanity check of the instruments ability to perform and terminate async I/O.

NI does have a good async read/write Measurement Studio VB.NET sample project called SimpleAsynchronousReadWrite.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,050 Views)