Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost COM ports after NI 488.2 3.0 installed in Win 7

Initially I have an issue with NI USB 6501devicein the Win 7 PC. So I installed the NI 488.2 3.0 latest version which solves the issue. But I lost the COM ports which works earlier. I tried by installing the latest versions of NI serial 3.8.1 and NI VISA 5.1.2 but it doesn't recover the COM ports.

Could you please help me in this regard.

Thanks,

V G Srinivas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,721 Views)

That does not make any sense. The 6501 is a DAQ device and NI-488, NI-VISA, and NI-Serial have nothing to do with it. What kind of com port? Is it an NI device? That would be the only reason to install NI-Serial.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,711 Views)

Its not a NI serial USB device. Its normal USB 2.0 hub.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,708 Views)

A USB hub is not a com port and should not be recognized as such. You would have to actually plug some sort of USB-RS232 adapter into the hub to get a com port.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,706 Views)

That USB hub is connected to 8 USB to RS232 ports.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,703 Views)

Then why did you just say you only had a hub?

You are confusing me. You have some sort of 8-port USB-RS232 adapter or 8 separate devices? What type/manufacturer? Is it's driver properly installed? Do they show up in Windows Device Manager?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,701 Views)

Sorry for the confusion.

I have 8 separate USB-RS232 devices. Manufacturer - RoHS. Its not showing in the Device Manager also. Previously everything worked fine.

Regards,

VGS

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,694 Views)

Then try reinstalling the windows device driver (.inf) for the devices. I don't know how it could have gotten corrupted but then I don't really know what you actually did to get the 6501 driver installed.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,691 Views)

I doubt that RoHS is the actual name of the manufacturer. RoHS stands for Restriction of Hazardous Substances directive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROHS) and most new electronic components (including USB-RS232 adapters) meet this directive and thus state this somewhere on the packaging. 

Have you tried plugging in the USB-RS232 devices to another machine to see if you have similar problems?

Lars

NI R&D

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,681 Views)