Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for examples/help on using Ethernet with Keithley 2701 DMM

All of the example code utilizing their IVI driver is based on GPIB or RS232. I specifically bought the 2701 to utilize the Ethernet port, but cannot find CVI examples on how to do this. Can anyone point me to an ethernet example using their driver and the Ethernet port? Or perhaps post a non-Keithley ehternet driver and examples on its use?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,862 Views)
Paul,

The 2700, 2701 and 2750 all have the same basic functionality. 2701 is ethernet/rs232, 2700 and 2750 are gpib/rs232 and the 2750 has more slots.

So most of the examples should work for the 2701. There maybe some examples that require a particular module(card).

To use the 2701 on ethernet in the ke2700_init (or Ke2700_initWithOptions) functions replace the VISA resource with "tcpip::xxxx::1394::socket" where xxxx is the tcpi/ip address you set via the front panel.
Alternatively you can setup a IVI logical name using MAX and use that in the same two functions.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,861 Views)
Thanks for the reply. So if I modify any of the example programs ke2700_init calls to

KE2700_InitWithOptions("tcpip::120.0.0.21::1394::socket", VI_TRUE, VI_TRUE, OPTION_STR, &vi)

it should work? Is this the correct syntax?

I'll give it a try as soon as corp IT gives me an IP address to use. Thanks again,

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,861 Views)
Yes that is right.

The first thing I would do when you get your ip address is to run ping and make sure you get a response from the 2701 on the ip address they give you.

If it works then run the example. If it doesn't then it is either the cable or there is some firewall involved.

Generally if you plug the 2701 into a ethernet jack on the wall then you use a regular straight thru cable. If you use a hub then it requires a cross over cable.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,861 Views)
Thanks!

I followed your advice...and it works fine. I'm still scratching my head though trying to figure out how users are supposed to know this information--because I certainly had no luck finding it through Keithley's or NI's documentation. For example, a listing of library calls and the expected parameters. (not that I expect NI to provide this--the mfr should provide the information or examples of how the Ethernet is initialized.) Thanks so much for your help--you have saved me uncounted hrs of searches and headaches.

Regards,

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,861 Views)
Hi Paul,

What you have been told is exactly what you need to do.
Here is a document in NI web that explains about it:
How Can I Communicate With a Keithley 2701 DMM?

There is also an Instrument driver that NI built for these DMM:
LabVIEW Certified Plug and Play Instrument Driver

To find this documents you need to go to NI.com and at the top on the search box enter 2701. That will give you all the documents related to this.
Thank you

Ricar
do S.
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,861 Views)

So how do you modify any of the example programs ke2700_init because I have the IP address and I can get it to ping but while using the premade instrument driver programms I don;t know how to change the visa, where do you type KE2700_InitWithOptions("tcpip::120.0.0.21::1394::socket", VI_TRUE, VI_TRUE, OPTION_STR, &vi)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,440 Views)