Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lan to GPIB Controller software impact

Solved!
Go to solution

I wrote a Labview program on a PC wiht an inernal GPIB Controller card to control a GPIB Electronic Load using NI VISA and vendor supplied Labview VIs that use NI VISA.  I now have to implement the same program on a laptop using a LAN to GPIB Converter from NI to talk to the Electronic Load. 

What is the difference in how this LAN to GPIB device gets programmed verses a direct gpib controller for the same instrument?  Is the code that I have written already not usable?  Do I have to write direct TCP/IP Commands now out of my Labview program?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,191 Views)

Hi there,

The only difference between using a standard GPIB port and the ENET-GPIB is how you set it up and configure it within MAX. From there, it will behave exactly the same. All of the TCP/IP routing is done automatically.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,156 Views)

So I can use the VISA Library for the instrument in labview and it will work for both GPIB or this Ethernet.  I just have to redefine the interface to switch between the two?

Sounds great.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,143 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author id
You would change the resource only if you change the gpib address of the instrument or the controller number. If you use aliases, you wouldn't change your code at all.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,138 Views)

I am also facing similar problem, Can you suggest the address / visa resource name used?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,072 Views)
There was no real problem with the original question. Your question sounds off-topic so please start a new thread with some details.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,064 Views)

I have written a LABVIEW progam to control a device using GPIB interface.Now I ned to modify it for using it though a GPIB- ENET 100 device. How should I do that? What Address format to use in Visa Rsource?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,030 Views)
As already said, you don't change a thing.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,017 Views)