Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lake Shore 211

Solved!
Go to solution

Greetings,

I have two LS-211 that I am getting a timeout on the VISA read from.  The curious thing is that they work fine in MAX with IDN?\n however when I open a VISA session and preform the write and read (write with term charactors CR/LF appended) the read times out.  I get the same behavior from my 121's and my Keithly 2200.  I am first trying to deal with the 211's first.  Any ideas why it works on MAX and not with VISA?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,085 Views)
You should post your code but you probably aren't sending the termination characters correctly. You must click on the string control/constant and select '\' Codes Display. The Basic Serial Example has it done correctly. There is also an existing driver for both. Look at using them.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,078 Views)

Thanks for the input but the good news is that I was able to get the 211 working when I queried temperature but it does not seem to work for IDN?.  Matters not since temp is what I am interested in.

The issue I am having now is with the 121.  It times out on both MAX and the vi which is attached.  I am using a 8430/8 RS232 and a USB to DBN cable converter to adapt to the USB connection.  I assume that when doing this a straight through 232 cable is required and not a null cable.  The reason why I ask is that I am doing the same on my Keithleys and they also have the same behavior.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,051 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author teslac
Your comment on USB to DBN does not make any sense. Surely you wouldn't be trying to connect the serial to USB connection on an instrument?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,034 Views)

Yes that is what I was doing.  Once I switched to USB all of my comm issues were resolved.  Live and learn...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,984 Views)
Then you should mark my answer as the solution.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,980 Views)

@teslac wrote:

Yes that is what I was doing.  Once I switched to USB all of my comm issues were resolved.  Live and learn...

Pretty pathetic choosing your own post as the solution.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,972 Views)

Sorry guys my mistake.  Knutsons solution was the one I should have posted as a solution.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,958 Views)
Then why haven't you changed it? You can click on Options to unmark it.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,953 Views)

@teslac wrote:

Sorry guys my mistake.  Knutsons solution was the one I should have posted as a solution.

You did it!  The correct solution is marked. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,945 Views)