Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview does not read the amplitude of waveform correctly for TDS 2014 scope

Hi, 

I downloaded drivers for tektronics TDS 2014 oscilloscope from NI website (http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=047216EC20B66FABE0440003BA7CCD...  ).  I am trying to collect waveform from the oscilloscope. I am able to talk to the oscilloscope and see the waveform on my computer. However, the waveform displayed has 10 times higher amplitude than the actual waveform. I have set the Probe attenuation to unity and I am not sure what makes this change in the waveform. 

The vi I have been using is attached here.

Thanks for your help!

Nutan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,038 Views)

If you have a 1..10 probe and the scope knows this then the signal is multiplied by 10 also on the scope.

BUT maybe twice multiplied?

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,035 Views)

I chcked the output value also of the probe and that tunrned out to be the same as what I set it to.

I am not sure where the multiplication is taking place.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,026 Views)
Are you saying the amplitude display on the pc is different than the amplitude display on the scope?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,024 Views)

Before connecting scope to computer, the amplitude ons cope is 200mV. After connecting scope to computer, the amplitude on computer is 2V and during the acquisition process, the axes on scope are also adjusted such that it also reads 2V.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,018 Views)
Connecting to the computer will not change anything. You must mean connect and run the VI. There is a probe setting being sent to the scope. I can't look at the VI right now so just probe around with context help turned on. You'll find it.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,011 Views)

Yes, I meant opening the labview and running the VI, that changes the amplitude. I have looked at the probe settings in VI in the context help and could not find anything suspicious there. I will try to look at it again, thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,007 Views)

Hi 

I had a similar problem using an agilent DSO serie scope and Labview.

It turned out that in my case the scope reading from labview was a simplified data file a bit like like a screen shot of your scope screen instead of the real data. You can check by comparing the number of points displayed on your VI and the time scale and resolution of your scope.

Anyway after messing about for a while i decided it would be faster and more reliable to use the software provided on the agilent website (even tho it's a bit crap) at least you can get the real data out of your scope and do a post process analysis of them.

Fred

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,000 Views)

Your code is changing the probe attenuation to 10 (default value on the control is set to 10).  If your scope was previously set to 1x probe, then that will cause the change from 200mV to 2V.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,980 Views)

Thanks! I will look into that. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,956 Views)