From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW to aquire real-time serial port data and write to a text file.

I am trying to communicate with a Hamamatsu PMT that connects to my PC via a serial port. I need to collect the data in real-time and write it to a text file. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to do this.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,135 Views)
Meghanmar,

If you would just like to stream data from the COM port and log it to a text file, assuming you are using the Windows operating system you could use HyperTerminal (a program that comes with Windows). It is available on the Start Menu at Programs » Accessories » Communications » HyperTerminal. Once you set up your session to the COM port, go to the "Transfer" menu option and select "Capture Text". It will prompt you for a location and file name for the text file. Afterwards, all received data will be logged to the text file. You can go back to the same menu location and select "Capture Text » Stop" when you have received all of the data of interest.

If you need to do a more complex acquisiton, you would likely need to program it using a language such as LabVIEW or CVI.

Sincerely,

RossC
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,120 Views)