Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW program for HP 4194A Impedance/Gain-Phase analyzer

Hi All, 
I was wondering if anyone has a labview program already written for a HP 4194A Impedance/Gain-Phase analyzer.This instrument measures the impedance,capacitance,dielectricloss etc as a function of frequency.The problem is I have to write down each and every reading. I was wondering if anyone already has a program written for extracting the data and storing in a excel or a txt file.please post the program  if you have it.

Thanks
Manoj
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 46
(14,649 Views)
Go to the Instrument Driver Network, click the search link, enter 4194A, and download the driver. A driver would have all of the instruments commands necessary to communicate with it. You will have to take the functions in the driver, add them to your program, and write the logging functions. There are functions on the File I/O palette that you can use. You should also search the shipping examples.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 46
(14,621 Views)

Thanks Dennis, I downloaded the drivers. Will keep you posted after trying it with the instrument. Thanks once again.

Sincerest Regards,

Manoj Narayanan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 46
(14,617 Views)
How are you running your tests, and what parameters are you reading?  I have written many programs for this, but I didn't use the drivers.  I either sent the online commands for the tests, or ran a stored program and had it return the data.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 46
(14,606 Views)

Hi Brain,

I measure the impedance & phase or Cp & D for my samples at different frequency ranges. I can do all the calibration and settings from the front panel. All I need is, once I am done with the frequency sweep fro my experiment, I want the program to grab the data from the LCD screen and put it into a excel sheet or a txt file. WHat i do now is once i am done with the frequency sweep, I have to note down the readings by hand which is very time consuming. Please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Sincerest Regards,

Manoj

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 46
(14,591 Views)
Here is an example.  It represents some of my early work, but it is functional.  With this one, you can get specific readings, or the whole sweep.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 46
(14,588 Views)

Hey Brian,

I am glad I found this thread with your example vi's for the HP 4194A. It was of great help and the program worked like a charm. I would also to like output Cs-Rs along with the impedance as a function of frequency and was wondering if you could guide me to do that using your program.

Thanks once again

Pradip

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 46
(14,426 Views)

Pradip-

You just basically change the settings for the cap sweep, then get the array data.  The program I supplied gets cap and dis data from 900 to 1000 Hz over 10 points.  Change those parameters to get what you want.  You will also need to not assign variables to the array A locations.  Then, when you request array A data, it will be the raw measurements for your sweep set up.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 46
(14,422 Views)

Hey Brian

Thanks a lot for the quick response. The program you supplied through this thread does a default 500-600 kHz sweep for the impedance and outputs it to a spread-sheet and even plots it to the main vi. I am using labview for the first time, and I am trying to find where I can change the settings for the capacitance scan and output that as an array in your program. Also, do i need to make any changes in the subVIs to do a capacitance scan.

Many thanks,

Pradip

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 46
(14,414 Views)

I don't have the instrument's manual, or even the instrument, anymore.  I suggest that you become familiar with the parameters that are available to use.  They are the same that are available over comms, but they are worded a little differently.  Most things are documented in the manual.

My program does a cap sweep.  It is only 10 points though.  Study the program, step through it and watch what the instrument does as you step through it.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 46
(14,368 Views)