Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2013 64-bit and Agilent 82357A

There was a previous post about issues of the Agilent 82357A in Windows 7 http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/MAXVISATimeoutError-when-82357A-USB-to-IEEE48...

Ours is different in that while the adapter is detected in both NI-MAX and Agilent Connection Expert and we are able to communicate with an instrument using them,

LabVIEW 2013 64-bit running in Windows 8.1 does not see any instrument that is connected. In other other words, when a VISA resource is dropped on the front panel, the instrument is not displayed.

Any ideas on the cause?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,377 Views)
Have you tried with 32-bit LabVIEW? Curious whether it's isolated to the 64-bit version.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,370 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
Have you tried with 32-bit LabVIEW? Curious whether it's isolated to the 64-bit version.

Not yet.

Late in the day, I installed the 32-bit version. Will try it out on Monday.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,358 Views)

Update:

The Agilent 82357A connected to an instrument is recognized in LabVIEW 2013 (32-bit).

Would welcome feedback on how to get this USB-GPIB adapter working with LabVIEW 2013 (64-bit).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,321 Views)

There is no Tulip passport for NI-VISA 64bit so NI-VISA 64bit won't recognize any Agilent GPIB controller.

The deal with 64-bit VISA is similar to COM-VISA. There is a Global Manager and multiple (any company that wants to supply a 64bit VISA) vendor specific resouce managers.

I think you have to install Agilent VISA to get this to work. I know this all worked in 32bit land but that was because of the TULIP passport.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,301 Views)

For now we will be sticking with NI-VISA and use LabVIEW 2013 32-bit, but we may be forced to revisit this in the future.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,296 Views)