07-28-2011 10:53 AM
upon newinstallation of Labview 2010 SP 1 (10.0.1) on win xp, I couldn't reconnect over the serial port any more to a previously nicely working instruments. The VISA resource name input of the serial write VI suggests three I/O ports with ASRL numbers. Neither of them works. Strangely enough, refreshing the list yields again three ports, however with increased numbers, i.e. i.e. from 177-179 to 180-182, and so on.
The tab 'serial & parallel' ports in MAX (4.7.7f0) reveals the same three resources with type I/O Port. Applying an alias to one of these ports is not possible: "un unkown error occured while trying to apply the new settings." Moreover, refreshing (F5) will also constantly increase the ASRL numbers.
Any ideas how to solve this issue, get constant ASRL numbers and reconnect to my device?
Thanks for your help,
07-28-2011 06:37 PM
The way that National Instruments software works is, once you install software, you must repair all associated drivers so that the new software integrates with the drivers correctly. To do this:
This should correct the communication issues that you are facing.
08-02-2011 10:53 AM
Thank you for the reply, Larry.
I did a repair of these 3 drivers you suggested --> no improve. MAX still shows the increasing ASRL numbers upon refresh.
I then did a repair of the whole NI installation --> no improve either.
I finally installed the newest DAQmx version 9.3.0. This also did not resolve the situation.
Any more suggestions from your side? Re-installation of the whole LabVIEW suite?
08-02-2011 11:21 AM
What version of the NI-Serial driver do you have installed? Is it NI-Serial 3.7? If not, please update to the newest NI-Serial driver found here: http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/2316/lang/e
Also, the issue involving the alias not being able to be changed may indicate an error with your MAX database. If you could, uninstall Measurement and Automation (this will be different than the Repair feature because the repair feature simply looks for missing files, it does not look for corrupt files). Also, uninstall your NI-Serial driver and reboot. Once your computer restarts, reinstall MAX, then reinstall the newest NI-Serial driver.
From your original problem description, it seems that the issue resides between your Serial driver and MAX.
08-02-2011 04:34 PM
I'm having the same problem with COM and LPT ports.
First i had trouble with GPIB, so i updated GPIB 488-2 and VISA drivers.
GPIB worked ok but ASRL numbers started to increasing.
Windows configuration its ok, i tested the COM ports. Seems like MAX is a bit weird. I tought it was MAX data base corruption.
Right now im uninstalling everything related to national instruments, and will start to install again.
08-03-2011 10:37 AM
08-04-2011 10:15 AM
This link may help:
I searched the national instruments entries on registry, and deleted them.
But you need to be careful, and be sure that you are deleting only national instruments entries.
The link explains how to back up the windows registry before delete entries. And how to restore them in case of trouble.
08-05-2011 01:15 AM
I could finally resolve the issue.
The installed NI-Serial version was 3.7.
As suggested by Larry, I tried first to uninstall MAX. This however meant to uninstall basically the whole Labview Suite, as a lot of NI components depend on MAX directly. I therefore first checked for a corrupt MAX database. Rebuilding the database, as described here http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/86256F0E001
In the end, I removed ALL NI software with the NI uninstall tool from Add/Remove Software. For that, I needed to uninstall component after component & restart several times. I also removed all the National Instruments registry entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, deleted the NI program folder and removed all NI Application Data under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data.
A clean reinstall of the LabView Development Suite 2011 seems therefore to be the only solution, as also suggested by
Thanks for your help,