Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keysight N6701A Insufficient Location Information

Are you referring to the Display > Wake on I/O? I will try playing around with it more but my understanding was that simply turned on the display when the device received a command.

Will let you know. Thanks,
Will
CLA, CLED, CTD, CPI
LabVIEW Champion
Choose Movement Consulting
choose-mc.com
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(3,111 Views)

I spoke with two Keysight applications engineers, neither of which was very helpful, or easy to work with.  Regardless, they did at least confirm that the Wake on I/O setting is simply for the screen saver. 

To be honest I am becoming more suspicious of the network card configuration than the hardware itself. If anyone has ever seen intermittent network connectivity I'd be interested in hearing what they did to fix it. I'm using a secondary network card, directly connected to the power supplies. Steps I will take moving forward when I next have access to the system:

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/304958-realtek-pcie-gbe-family-controller-keeps-disconne...

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/363165-lan-keeps-disconnecting-connecting-constantly.html

The odd thing is that using the ports never throws an error, I simply can't get the power supplies to communicate after a couple minutes of no use.

Will
CLA, CLED, CTD, CPI
LabVIEW Champion
choose-mc.com
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(3,095 Views)

In the end, this was in fact a networking issue. Windows (or the driver) would only look at the primary ethernet port when attempting to locate the VISA Resource, and therefore only find one. By repeatedly calling VISA Open, it would eventually find the resource. By bridging the 4 network adapters the system treats them as one and I can open a reference to my various power supplies on the network on the first try. 

Briding the network is done in the Network and Sharing control panel by selecting the desired network adapters, right-clicking and choose Bridge.

Hope that helps someone.

Will
CLA, CLED, CTD, CPI
LabVIEW Champion
choose-mc.com
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(3,054 Views)

@Will_S. wrote:

In the end, this was in fact a networking issue. Windows (or the driver) would only look at the primary ethernet port when attempting to locate the VISA Resource, and therefore only find one. By repeatedly calling VISA Open, it would eventually find the resource. By bridging the 4 network adapters the system treats them as one and I can open a reference to my various power supplies on the network on the first try. 

Briding the network is done in the Network and Sharing control panel by selecting the desired network adapters, right-clicking and choose Bridge.

Hope that helps someone.

Four network adapters?!?!

We had four test equipment along with the DUT and they were plugged into one 5-port D-link switch. The PC itself had one network adapter.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(3,049 Views)

I didn't design that part, got to work with what I'm given 🙂

Will
CLA, CLED, CTD, CPI
LabVIEW Champion
choose-mc.com
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(3,046 Views)

@Will_S. wrote:

I didn't design that part, got to work with what I'm given 🙂

And the fact that they were using FOUR network adapters is highly unusual and should have been mentioned in your first post.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(3,025 Views)

You're right - I should have mentioned the 4 network adapters. But I wouldn't say it's unusual. In my area industrial PCs frequently come with multiple network adapters. Just haven't encountered this issue before.

Will
CLA, CLED, CTD, CPI
LabVIEW Champion
choose-mc.com
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(2,984 Views)

@Will_S. wrote:

You're right - I should have mentioned the 4 network adapters. But I wouldn't say it's unusual. In my area industrial PCs frequently come with multiple network adapters. Just haven't encountered this issue before.

I haven't seen it at companies I have worked at. Generally they buy a business-grade PC such as Dell Optiplex or Precision with one network card and then use a Ethernet switch to connect to various instruments. Cheaper.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(2,979 Views)

Most of my test systems have 2 ethernet ports: one for instruments (rack network, using a switch) and a second for a system network (many test systems on a local network using a router for central storage, SVN repository, etc).  But an ethernet port on the computer for each instrument is next to useless.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(2,975 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Most of my test systems have 2 ethernet ports: one for instruments (rack network, using a switch) and a second for a system network (many test systems on a local network using a router for central storage, SVN repository, etc).  But an ethernet port on the computer for each instrument is next to useless.

Ah you are right. 1 ethernet port for the instruments and 1 ethernet port for the connection to the corporate network.

Though when working in an secured area, the test PC would not be connected to the corporate network. Not allowed.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(2,968 Views)