Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keithey 2400 troubleshooting

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey guys. I'm having trouble getting Keithley 2400 to communicate with LabView.

I already have Keithley 6220 running in the setup, so I tried just copying and pasting the code for it (not written by me, but it works just fine) and just changing the GPIB address, but that didn't work. I kept getting errors -113 unidentified header, and -102 syntax error.

Then, I wrote a simple program that would just turn Keithley 2400 on and source some current. See pic #1.

It still gives error -113, then -102, then turns on, but doesn't source current and "Compliance voltage" is flashing:(

I'm very new to this, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I installed the new Visa driver for it and tried running programs provided by Keithley, but those also don't work. See pic #2.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(6,967 Views)

The 2400 series can source voltage or currnt.  The 6220 is a current source.  So they are two totally different instruments.

I would recommend getting the LabVIEW drivers that are available (http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=25B255F3AA83660EE0440003BA7CCD...).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,957 Views)

Why not use the k24xx driver available via IDnet (ni driver opages) on the keithley website.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,950 Views)

That is the driver that I used. I have LabView 2011 on that computer tho. Do you think drivers for LabView 2010 or 2012 would work cuz I think I got one of those.

In the "protocol" menu on Keithley 2400 it also says 488.1. Should it say 488.2? Does it matter?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,940 Views)
You actually have to click on the pull-down of the VISA Resource Control and select your instrument from the list. Yours is blank which explains the invalid resource name error.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,935 Views)

Oh. How do I get to it? I'm in VISA Interactive control and I only see Unknown:  ASRL1:: INSTR and

Serial Instrument Resources ARSL 10::INSTR

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,932 Views)
Are you using an NI GPIB controller? If so, did you right click on it and select Scan for Instruments? The instrument has to appear in MAX before you can do anything else.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(6,920 Views)

What do you mean by "appear in MAX"? It's on the list (see ss3)

Also, I'm not sure if that's what you mean, but I picked between the two different options in the "VISA resource name", and got errors for both. Tho I'm not sure what they are so maybe that's normal (ss4 and ss5)

(Sorry I'm a total n00b 😞 I've only been working on this project for a couple of weeks and my adviser is gone and I'm trying to figure this stuff out by myself in the mean time, please bear with me)

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(6,912 Views)
Neither PhD those resources are your gpib instruments. Can you expand the gpib section and if shown, the Keithley 2400?

What version of VISA do you have installed and what is your os?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(6,902 Views)

It's VISA 3.2 on Windows 7

Also, here it is in VISA Interactive Control if that's at all useful >.> (it wasn't showing up before because my labmate stole the GPIB cable -__- sorry about that)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(6,892 Views)