Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue setting up rs232 communication

I have been having trouble setting up rs232 communication using the port on an sbRIO9607 (the process should be the same as for a cRIO). 

I have a program that works fine on the computer but when i try to run it on the sbrio i am having some issues. I think the problem is with setting up the com port. When running on the computer, choices for the serial port are generated automatically as COM1 and COM2, which i can see when i go to MAX>my system>devices and interfaces. When i go to devices and interfaces for the sbRIO i see ASRL#:INSTR where the # is 1-8. 

From what i have seen online i need to have the visa drivers and server installed which i do. I have also read that i should be able to right click on devices and interfaces to add a new serial port. However when I try this I get the error "internal MAX Error. Could not get interface to MAX database"

new serial port error

Any ideas on how to create or connect to the com port? I believe when it is correctly set up it should look like the figure in this post:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/how-do-i-read-from-a-RS-232-to-cRIO/td-p/1116...

Additional info: 

labview 2015 32 bit

sbRIO 9607

ni RT 15.0.1

ni RIO 16.0

ni VISA 16.0

windows 10 64 bit

Capture3.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(2,717 Views)